Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 18-Feb-2004, 18:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
after us again

Today in the Northampton chronicle and echo
Big headline “speeding bikers will be targeted by new technology after one is clocked at 139mph”

The counties police force is currently using the latest technology to carry out Britons largest ever survey of motorbike speeds
Already one survey found 900 bikes travelling between 80-139mph. at this speed it would push the bikes stopping distance to a quarter of a mile
The number of people killed in motorbike accidents in Northamptonshire has risen from 90 in 2003 to 122 last year
At the end of this month the survey will be backed up by high visibility patrols on roads, which attract large numbers of bikers to catch those flouting the speed limits
Officers will target bikes that are being ridden irresponsibly and also illegal number plates
Officers using specially designed machines, which are laid in the road to measure motorbike speeds, are hoping the survey will give them the most detailed picture of bikers driving habits ever produced

So watch your back in Northampton
What do you reckon to the ¼ mile stopping distance quoted
I better get a cg 125
Old 18-Feb-2004, 18:21
Mille

Mood: Either bemused or indifferent
Glyn,
what a supprise, Mr Plod after some more money from people with readily available address' To be fare if cars could go that fast that easy i think they would grab the headlines! But as i always say "go fast were the Police aint!"
Old 18-Feb-2004, 18:51
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Cant ever remember needing a 1/4 mile to stop at Santapod, could trip the terminal speed clock at 135 regular enough but soon slowed down in a lot less distance than th 1/4 mile it took me to get to that speed.
Old 18-Feb-2004, 19:14
Ducati Meccanica

think them police bikes might need a brake check
Old 18-Feb-2004, 20:02
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Course we all believe what we read in the Newspapers...well it appears some do!!
Whilst on this subject, in more crp than news today the survey about "Traffic Officers" One minute we're complaining about them persecuting bikers, next minute were complaining the've all been disbanded!

For the record Northampton still DOES have a Traffic department, not as MCN would have you believe.
Old 18-Feb-2004, 21:06
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
... And what I found amusing is that the information on Dorset plod was not available..... Oh what a surprise.. the sneakiest force around don't want to give anything away... For the record steer clear of Dorset.. We still have a VERY active traffic department and probably more gatso's than any county in England !! Our plod have been known to stand on the forecourt of a closed petrol station in the dark, wearing NO high vis clothing and using the radar gun to target a main route into Bournemouth after 22.00hs !!! ( and they call that fair ????? )
Old 18-Feb-2004, 21:10
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
.... Oh yeah, must tell you that we also have a very active Plod helicopter !!! I have also heard that the plod chopper in the Purbecks has had it's curfew lifted so it can now operate 24 / 7.... God forbid if they do that to the Dorset chopper.... Won't get any sleep at night when the bl**dy thing decides to hover over my house.... ( think I'd best go now before I get really irate ! )
Old 18-Feb-2004, 21:29
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Dave
I went past the Magistrates couts in Croydon the pther moprning on my way to work at about 07:15 and they were right outside the front door with a lazer gun and it only about 100 yds as you come of a roundabout!

Nicked and straight in front of the beak, nice little earner!!!

Revenue.who said that????????
Old 19-Feb-2004, 15:47
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
I went on one of Northampton Police's bikekraft courses last year and although we had to stick to the speed limits (cos the officer was on a marked bike) he was a top bloke - when we got to one nice stretch of road he shot past me and set a speed that was much more realistic, without getting into the loony speeds. The two bike officers I met were thorougly nice chaps, very level headed and reasonable.
Old 19-Feb-2004, 17:56
Ducati Meccanica

dont get me wrong here chaps i have nothing against the police, they are doing there job.
just letting you know that theres going to be a crackdown in the area (according to the paper).
i see people on bikes in the area riding like nobs. and it's this element that give the whole biking community a bad name.

but those of us that ride at a moderate pace and pick are roads carefully are likely to get had if the police are having an opperation aimed specificly at bikers, as i guess there will be a low tollerance for any thing e.g number plates, exausts and obviously speed.
at least a police man can make his own decision, unlike the cameras

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit