Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-Jul-2004, 15:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Advanced Riding Techniques

I did a half day course this Saturday, - it was part of a thrown-in freebie when I bought the numptystrada, - and it was brilliant.

The course was one on one (as a gixer boy did not turn up) with off duty T5 high pursuit driver/motorcyclist policeman. In all it was 4 hours of intense concentration and hard riding. I was really impressed with the guys recollection of the previous 20 minuets ride as he described back every car, lorry, horse, hazard that we had encountered, and how I had dealt with them. Also interesting to hear of the different accidents he had seen whilst doing the course as people tried to impress or prove themselves quicker. What really surprised me was the full use of the road to open up bends, - with moving over into the gutter for right handers, - and entering left hand bends on the other side of the road so as to be able to see through them and "crack on that throttle" sooner. We had a stretch of country lane with no junctions on the right of it that was in effect a mile long left hand sweeper with a narrow one way bridge in it, - he knew it like the back of his hand and told me to come out onto the "wrong" side of the road so as to see ahead for a long way, - we were flying along, - but the key to it was we were flying along in safety. The other thing was when following cars looking to overtake sit out on the "wrong" side when nothing is ahead, if the road ahead bends to the left you can still see to overtake.
The guy was a real motorcycle enthusiast and I after years of riding learnt a few things, - the ride back was a wonderful road from Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead, which I think Bike magazine said was an all time best, - it was great with that extra 6' of visibility going into left handers, corner speed was certainly up.

If you ever get chance to do one of this things, go for it. I want to do my AMI(?) now.
Old 26-Jul-2004, 16:21
Montjuic

Hi Ian,

Sounds like my best experiences of the IAM (over the last 10 years, being a fellow old git!), which have been mostly with class I police riders. Mind you, my original 'observer' was a civilian, and he was v.good too.

You'll find a lot of variation tho. My advice would be to get to know a local group, and potential observers, before committing to a course. My worst experience was following the rattiest VFR750 ever round some great 80mph-sweepers, which would have been enjoyable at 60mph too, at a totally crap 40mph (in a 60-limit, o'course). I swear your old 916 was as annoyed as I was!

Beware of post-training over-exuberance, a not-uncommon phenomenon in my experience.

Andy
Old 26-Jul-2004, 16:22
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
You dislexic old sod it's 'IAM' as in Institute of Advanced Motorist's.
Was told by a retired traffic officer (Rod) who runs Milton Keynes group that the police traffic department have come back a bit from their old standard of ' On a left hander if you're not kicking up the gravel in the right hand gutter you're not in the correct position' that's in a car mind.
Their way of using all the road does open it all out for you though-just most riders/drivers are conditioned to only go out there for the overtake rather than just using it to open out the view ahead. That is apart of course from the numpties in cars who go over the centre line on blind bends 'cause they got their entry speed wrong-as seem recently in MCN.

John
Old 26-Jul-2004, 16:55
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Ian,

Good to hear that you enjoyed the ART course - I'm doing a full day this Thursday down at P&H in Crawley. I too got a free half day when I bought the 748 from them, thought I'd put in the extra 50 quid or so to get a full day out of it. By the sounds of it I'll be mentally knackered come end of the day!

Can't wait, and yes the A264 between TW and EG is a good road....

Ade.
Old 26-Jul-2004, 22:29
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Good on yer Ian, most people I've talked into giving it a try are amazed at how smoother their progress becomes and surprised by the resulting INCREASE in overall speed for any given journey!
One thing I would exercise caution on tho is PLEASE be careful on this "use of the RH side of the road"! Should anything untoward happen then the proverbial book will thump very heavily between your shoulders, it takes an awful lot of practice to get it right and its easy to make a mistake whilst trying.
I personally disagree with 90% of the times I was shown when to use t'other side approaching left-handers, no matter how far over you go you will very rarely ever see EVERYTHING that could be coming round that left-hand bend and by then you're so far into "enemy territory" its simply too late. Seen that happen to a class 1 instructor and it's put me off crossing too far over that line unless I'm SURE I can see whilst I'm moving there.
Go ahead and shoot me but, as a so called "advanced" rider thats my view.
Dont let any of this put anybody off trying "advanced" riding, it REALLY WORKS!
Just dont get complacent with it on gravelly right hand bends on roads you THINK you know 100% Ahem
Old 26-Jul-2004, 23:14
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Quote:
Originally posted by psychlist
One thing I would exercise caution on tho is PLEASE be careful on this "use of the RH side of the road"!

Think theres an artical in Bike this month along these lines. They noted that a lot of car drivers cut the corners on (their) RH bends, so you're coming round the other way then thats a lot of ground to make up to be able to pass each other on the left!!!

Defintely one for the technique toolbox, but should be exercised with caution!!!!
Old 27-Jul-2004, 00:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
please don't take my riding on the other side of the road comments and advice and tips on what to do, children do not try this at home

I had a couple of reservations, - but it did open my mind/view/opinion (not sure which) a bit. The same as riding in the gutter for right handers, - I had in my head from the very first day on the road on my 16th birthday, the gutter has poor surface and more drains/pot holes, so avoid. The key to it all is thinking about your postioning more.

The other interesting thing was how little to use the brakes following this guy, reminded me of following Dean (although this time a slower pace) with the 998R with magnessium bits all over it, comes on Surrey/Sussex rides sometimes. He is a super smooth rider to follow.

I think it is all about continuing learning really, - it is easy to get to the state of mind where you have done this for years so why look for change, or why question what you are doing. I guess you guys who have done your IAM have seen the light long before me.

The guy I rode with works out of Kent (this was a P&H freebie), and I think does do some work foc stuff if a venue can be found as this takes in theory not just riding. Enjoy your day Ade, you will be tired, the concentration is intense.

And AndyVR6, I was happy to let you buy the 916 as i thought you could get the best out of her, now you can't let her pootle around at 40mph thats cruelty to Ducs

I know Webby has got 10 people together for a day of this sort of thing in Surrey soon, perhaps it is something that other RO's might be interested in getting together if people are keen?
Old 27-Jul-2004, 14:32
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
That is correct Ian, we are doing the Bikesafe gig with Surrey Police on sunday 15 August. I may have a space if anyone out there is interested the cost is £30.
Old 27-Jul-2004, 14:52
500SD

Mood: Not sure
The Notts DSC are meeting the Notts IAM tomorrow evening for a chat, everybodys welcome to come along if your interested in doing your advanced. Notts IAM web site is HERE Details of meetingplace and times is on their site

Darren
Old 27-Jul-2004, 16:13
500SD

Mood: Smiles
I did IAM too, and it's definately made me smoother... very important as Psychlist said, never become complacent tho' all too easy, but it's definately worth doing, skills get sharper and you can anticipate more of what is likely to happen and hopefully prevent.. what's likely to occur....

Go for it!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit