Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Aug-2005, 18:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by domski
This is from another forum, and reference to road tyres on a race bike from LAST WEEKEND...

Quote:
hello all
it had to happen sooner or later, yes i've smashed my foot up!
did it in soaking wet fri practice braking into chicane, definitely getting wets 4 next year!
i now have 3 screws in left foot & can't put any weight on it for 3 months, ah well.
will do it all properly next year, might manage a bit of spectating, if not c u all next year!!!!

...who's gunna tell him that wets won't make any difference???

Someone should tell you how to stop at the end of straights as well then.... And tell me how to go slower round Quarry....

Stop blaming the tools and get back on the bike.

Ali
Old 16-Aug-2005, 19:08
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Blaming the tools? But you only use hammers!! :P
Old 16-Aug-2005, 20:42
Mille

I would rather stick with the Diablos,as im not to keen on changing wheels .

Also I thought the Diadlos seem to grip ok both in the wet and dry. If they start to slide out of control then slow down a bit. At least we are all on the same tyres wet or dry.
Old 16-Aug-2005, 23:43
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
HMM, I really enjoyed racing in the diablos on saturday, Well in a strange perverse kind of way. I have used wets in the past many times(this is the uk afterall) My oppinion of wets is they are great untill they let go just like any other tyre out there, You can still crash on them
I was a little worried before the first race when i saw the conditions but after a lap or two i found myself making up plenty of places without sticking my neck out too far. Yes i had a few slides and a monster 2 wheel aquaplane down craner, But that was down to my decision to try to go around someone through the big puddles.
In conclusion i think I would prefer everyone to run on diablos, Well ecept maybe Chris W. LOL
Glyn
Old 18-Aug-2005, 13:59
Mille

Oh gawd...this argument is going to just run...and run....and run!

I really am trying to see both sides of the argument...but just can't move away from the (strongly held) belief that we are much, MUCH better off with what we've got.

Dom...your argument on safety grounds seems to be getting blurred with your argument that wets are BETTER than Diablos. How do you judge better? If you mean FASTER...as you pointed out quoting lap-times etc...then it just means that fallers will be going down carrying more speed....ie, FASTER....which I don't think anyone would argue is safer! I saw plenty of wrecked bikes on Saturday, all covered in mud and gravel, and all merrily sporting wets! The overriding argument then is....HOW MANY FALLERS would you get with Diablos compared to wets?.....and I don't think the numbers would be terribly different either way! And so to conclude...if safety is the argument...then we should all be on the slower tyre....THE DIABLOs!

I do accept your argument Dom that is shouldn't be decided totally on the grounds of cost...because, as you point out...most of us are wincing at the cost of racing...even at our "chug-a-boom" level anyway...and an extra set of wheels and tyres isn't really significant in the overall picture.

My overriding argument, though, to consider the "status quo" as the best option, is simply to look at the "ethos" behind the race series...keeping it simple, keeping it accessable to novices and newcomers, and keeping it "clubby" Can you imagine the "dramas" and added stress that would have been heaped on what were already very worried riders' heads last Saturday....as we all scrambled round uttering; wets?....diablos?...no, no, wets....no...Diablos....NO..WETS IT IS....NOOOOOooooooo... D-I-A-B-L-O-s- ...AAAaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Forget it!

No, Dom, as much as I love racing with (nay...thrashing) you....if you succeed in brainwashing the rest of the field into the blind belief that we NEED wets, then I, for one, won't be taking part, and if we do carry on as we are...then there are always plenty of OTHER race series for you to ply your skills in!!!! Sorry...no offence intended mate!

So there...'nuff said!

Andy #99
Old 18-Aug-2005, 20:11
Mille

Mood: counting
if you were going to split the series into 2 engine classes next year you could have this years rules for the lower cc's and the option of wets for the higher cc bikes

(best ignore me im not paying attention)
Old 18-Aug-2005, 20:14
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty Moc

(best ignore me im not paying attention)

OK

best to keep rules the same for all, with the exception of engine size
Old 18-Aug-2005, 21:03
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Do you know what, I just wrote out a long reply to this, but I don't see the point in posting it.

You all like Diablo's obviously.

Maybe we could all sign a petition and send it off to the tyre companies - They've been making wets for years, and there is clearly no point in them.

:P
Old 18-Aug-2005, 21:21
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
Quick,all hands to the pumps, catch those toys lads!
Butch
Old 18-Aug-2005, 21:41
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero