Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Jun-2004, 00:43
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Steering angle

Yes I know this has been discussed recently, but I just took the leap of faith and changed mine to the steeper angle, so here's my thoughts on the mod...

It's a dead easy job to do even if you think you're mechanically incompetent, but if you know what a spanner looks like then this is a job you can easily do, and here's how...

I found it easier, for access to turning the castle nut, to take the top yoke off.
1) First lift the front of the bike to take weight off the the front wheel (Abba stand and jack), this relieves the pressure at the top of the forks so that they're not trying to bend in the bottom yoke, and also lets the top yoke slide off/on with ease
2) Unbolt steering damper from frame
3) Loosen the three 10mm clamp bolts that secure the top yoke, and pull the yoke off (damper can stay attached to it)
4) Remove the circlips from the recesses at the top and bottom of the steering head tube and loosen the 2 clamp bolts (6mm hex)
5) Remove the retaining pin at the top of the steering head tube (6mm hex on the left side of the tube)
6) Turn the castle nut 180 degrees
WARNING: Don't be tempted to bash it round with a screwdriver - the posts on the castle nut are soft, you'll destroy them! Use a C-spanner and tap it round with a hammer - try pulling the C-spanner round only if you don't mind ripping skin off your knuckles!
7) Re-assemble in reverse, using the forward frame mount for the damper.

It took me about 45 minutes to do the the job without a manual, and this included a trip to Halfords for a 6mm hex socket.

The result:
I can't believe what a difference it's made! If you think your steering is slow, this apparently minor tweek will make you really happy

I put two more clicks on the steering damper to counter the theory of messing up front end stability, and it's no different to what it was before.

I'm pleased I did this, it should really come into it's own on the track - Just wish I'd done it sooner!

BEWARE: The steering hits the lock stops A LOT sooner than before, so watch out for this when turning at low speed on full lock - this nearly caught me out. I said NEARLY caught me out! Just get used to the new turning circle with your feet down before trying the feet up low speed U-turns, that's sort of "back to basics" but we all know what happens when you've got more lean than lock

happy spannering

nb
Old 17-Jun-2004, 08:21
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
cheers for that, mines getting done this saturday, getting it done at dealers as im crap at spannering. glad you could notice the difference. hopefully i will too. im on track the following weeekend so will give it a good comparison then.
Old 17-Jun-2004, 09:49
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
NBs996

As discussed recently,both my bikes are modied in this way,i'm very happy with them that way,glad you are too!!!

When we were talking about doing the job i may have made it sound a little harder than it is,it's very difficult to guage how difficult a task is when you don't know somebodies technical ability!! Anyway,glad you managed it without any fuss!!
Old 17-Jun-2004, 13:52
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Yes please Nick..........

Like I've said to you before I've been wanting to try it ever since I got the bike, just not had the nouse nor the capability to do it. If your very kind offer of assistance still stands I'd like to take you up on it, whenever it's convenient for you sir
Old 17-Jun-2004, 14:31
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I'll bring my hammer round at weekend paul.

Oh, and maybe some spanners and a torque wrench too!

nb
Old 17-Jun-2004, 20:49
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
I'll bring my hammer round at weekend paul.

Ooh! Sailor Make sure it's a big one not a puny little peening hammer :P
Old 17-Jun-2004, 20:50
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Is there anything in the world that cannot be fixed with a good heavy hammer and a pair of mullgrips? (And maybe an impact driver, too)
Old 17-Jun-2004, 21:04

I've already jacked up the rear ride height and that also made a big improvement to the slow steering. Its also very much quicker to do. Just remember that one of the nuts on the ride height adjuster is a left handed thread. Sorry, cant remember which one and I don't have access to my bike or manual just now. Two turns is enough.

Has anyone tried both jacking up the ride height and adjusting steering angle. If so, was it better again or worse?
Old 17-Jun-2004, 21:11
Ducati in my Blood

Already got my rear ride height jacked up so I'll let you know
Old 17-Jun-2004, 21:40
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Quote:
Originally posted by Loz
Is there anything in the world that cannot be fixed with a good heavy hammer and a pair of mullgrips? (And maybe an impact driver, too)

Yeah just ask Rattler he's an expert with big hammers