Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 13-Aug-2004, 01:02
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Lowering the 600SS was just a matter of repositioning the forks in the yokes, fitting a softer spring to the rear shock and getting the seat cut down and recovered.
Old 13-Aug-2004, 01:05

Mood: nearly brave enough..
good pic but I cant see your face BDG. Sounds like you a big boy too!I off to Cadwell next week so I gonna take a good look.... at the bikes aswell..
Old 13-Aug-2004, 01:08

Mood: nearly brave enough..
So you a 'young pup' skids? Did I start an 'age' thing??? LB.
Old 13-Aug-2004, 01:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Ladybird
good pic but I cant see your face BDG. Sounds like you a big boy too!I off to Cadwell next week so I gonna take a good look.... at the bikes aswell..

I'm scared of fast bikes and tracks, but don't want to admit it in public, so i had to come up with a plausible excuse for not being there. Therefore i'm doing a charity ride from Lands End to John O'Groats next week taking in the longest possible route away from any race trackl, as long as the Monsoon season finishes in time of course.
Old 13-Aug-2004, 01:40
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Ladybird
So you a 'young pup' skids? Did I start an 'age' thing??? LB.

Young pup.... I wish
All given away in my profile
Old 13-Aug-2004, 07:34
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello Ladybird,

Welcome to the board, some would say you are at the right place to meet oldies . .

regards

TopiToo
Old 13-Aug-2004, 08:58
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Hello and welcome to the mad house!
height in itself wont be too much of a handicap , but if you've a short inside leg (less than 30"?) you'll find it a stretch on any "standard" Duke except a 600 monster, which have smaller stance anyway. Kev's idea of "cutting down" a bike to fit will work but may affect the bikes handling. Get yourself down to your nearest dealers and try some out for size, if you can barely touch the floor with your toes then you'll possibly get away with just cutting the saddle down, otherwise it'll be a case of careful adjustment of the forks in the yokes and lowering the rear ride height until the balls of you're feet (in biking boots!) are firmly on the ground.
Lots of people "get by" with tip-toeing around on a bike thats too tall for them and feel quite happy, I'd want a bit more security in having a good "dab" available, especially after last night eh Mel
Old 13-Aug-2004, 09:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Sorry Ladybird, been wandering round the board having a beak at all the other posts.

Mmmmm! can't comment to well on the size requirement as i'm double your height and one stone heavier, or possibly double the weight and one foot taller.

First guess would be a Monster witha low seat height but equally so i'm not sure of peoples height but some of the ladies ride 996(Redruth) or 750ss(Kwikbitch) and CK will tell you all about Monsters. So i'm sure you'll get loads of advice there. CK's the only one i've met and from memory she's about your height.

I would say that with your size a Multistrada or an ST2 or ST4 are probably not the best choice.

What am i doing in the water? I'm into dirtbikes and offroading and it was just a bit of fun

[Edited on 13-8-2004 by BDG]

BDG. If you are really 10'6" (which I have to say sounds a little implausible) then you can be forgiven for thinking those of us of average all look pretty short. However, if you are within the normal range (up to 6'7) I suggest you get an apology on here pretty damn quick - before CK sees you've suggested she's about 4" shorter than she actually is.

Ladybird. Welcome. I'm 5'6, and I'm mostly riding a 996S but haven't found any bikes I've ridden needed seat adjustments (Yamaha 600, Bandit 600S, Ninja, Daytona T595, R1, R6, VFR 750, CBR 600, 400). Too wide sometimes, too heavy, too slow, but not too high. I have a friend, however, who is exactly your height and she really struggled to find a suitable bike. She made the mistake of buying one that was too big and every time she stopped, she thought she would drop it, so it ruined her confidence. Luckily, she lives in Milton Keynes so she could get out, do loads of roundabouts, and not have to stop for traffic too often.

Being able to plant both feet flat on the ground when you stop is a major consideration. The more upright position, eg Monster, I think, gives you a feeling of greater stability. Having said that, apart from one rear end shunt, the only time I've dropped bikes is when I've stopped and put my left leg down where the road was sloping away from me. Where abouts are you based? I'd be happy to come out 'bike shopping' with you if it's anywhere within striking distance of Hertfordshire.

PS Early days on the board can be a bit daunting. Stick with it. In spite of what you might think on occasion, you're not really upsetting anyone. We're all just 'avin' a laarf'.
Old 13-Aug-2004, 09:47
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Hi Ladybird - and welcome to the nuthouse!

From one 'oldie' to another.......

To dispel all comments, I'm 5.4 & a half, and ride the M1000sie - but have the ducati cut down seat, to ride comfortably. (20mm lower than std). having the monster makes me keep the upper speed levels down a bit.

For the life of me, I cannot touch the ground on a numptystrada - ask Ian - there is about 4 inches of 'air' on each side when sitting on the bike!!
The 1000ss is also rather too tall too......
Can just about cope with 749/999 - but only on tippy tippy toe, so if having one - would need to make some adjustments.

Have fun

Charlotte
Old 13-Aug-2004, 09:52
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
Ladybird

Welcome to the board! As it's already been said,i'll second(or third) the "don't take it too seriously" statements!! You'll get used to the pi55 taking & general banter!!
You'll also get loads of good advice & help!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit