Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Feb-2005, 17:29

Venture Shields

Has anyone fitted a Venture Shield to their 749/999? The kit is claimed to protect the body work against stone chips etc and is a clear plastic sheet applied to the vunerable areas, such as top fairing, belly plan, forks etc.

The details can be found at:
http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/products.asp

I have not necessarily had a stone chip problem with previous bikes, but was wondering how vunerable the 749/999 is to stone chips. I hard heard that the paint is sometimes quite thin, but that was, I think, on the "R" models where it is carbon rather than plastic and that might explain it.

Being anal about how the bike looks, I would be really annoyed to get it chipped but similarly don't want to waste my money on something that either looks bad or is ineffective.

Views/thoughts appreciated !
Old 18-Feb-2005, 17:35
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
I have a different brand of the same stuff, armourfend, on the Lotus and it is worth every penny. You can see it if you look closely, but otherwise you'd never know and it is brilliant to stop minor stone chips. I had the car resprayed after 20k miles and then got the armourfend stuck on and it looks perfect still and I am on 65K now.
Old 18-Feb-2005, 17:42
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Or do as I do, buy a track day kit, and run that on the bike at all times... so when you sell it your bodywork is brand new, The panels on my R never even saw daylight
Old 18-Feb-2005, 17:49
Big Twin

Mood: happy
hope the mice have'nt munched on them
Old 18-Feb-2005, 17:55

Quote:
Originally posted by ak47
I have a different brand of the same stuff, armourfend, on the Lotus and it is worth every penny. You can see it if you look closely, but otherwise you'd never know and it is brilliant to stop minor stone chips. I had the car resprayed after 20k miles and then got the armourfend stuck on and it looks perfect still and I am on 65K now.

I had the armourfend on my Elise (shame I sold mine after only 12k miles and got a Mazda RX8 instead!...stupid boy!), and the only problem I had was that when I polished it the edges showed up exactly where the plastic is...but probably worth putting up with this if it avoids stone chips... I am more worried about applying it myself. The kit is £90 but fitting is another £50..they recommend self fit and supply a kit for applying it including fluids so you can line up the plastic before it sticks.

Hmmm might wait and just put loads of polish on the bike !
Old 19-Feb-2005, 11:16
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Just use cling film.... Its load's cheaper
Old 19-Feb-2005, 11:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
or Selotape
Old 19-Feb-2005, 12:08
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Quote: