Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Mar-2011, 01:09
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary

Craig
Old 16-Mar-2011, 07:23
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
FPMSL

glad I just finished my coffee or it would be all over my netbook
Old 16-Mar-2011, 11:43
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
No Ron they won't as the Dyno used was an unknown quantity

But any bikes that did come out high will be first on the list for testing at the next available session and subject to the SAE figures and conversion figures generated by the Brands Dyno testing.

I ammended my earlier post and as far as the Parkitt Dyno goes we will probably be looking at a Class A figure of 60bhp (SAE) and a Class B figure of 49bhp (SAE)

I say probably as there is no intention of changing the stated limits in the rules which are Dynoject corrected DIN figures of 65bhp for Class A and 53bhp for Class B. Its just a matter of making sure the correct figures are used and applied to everyone

When the figures were incorporated into the rules they were considered a fair amount of horsepower that should be acheiveable by many and although money and a good tuner could get you more the series is not about who can afford the best tuner its about being the best racer and having a even and fair playing field

as the rules say
***Dyno Testing – when available the intention will be to Dyno test the top 3 finishers in each class and a few at random, if tested after race 1 you will not be tested again after race 2 instead the next highest finisher shall be tested.
Dyno testing is carried out at the bike owners risk and refusal to be tested will result in disqualification from the results for that meeting***
But you are using the results from Brands to "calibrate" readings. If this calibration exludes some machines tested as over-powered, surely they should be exluded from the results? Or will they just get exluded from future results? That is assuming there are people that were tested over the equivalent 53bhp.... but if they were, surely a line should be drawn and the exlusion start from day one?

btw, I don't know if anyone was tested over. As I say, I think mine was 48-49 (presumably the lower of the DIN/SAE figures, so equivalent to about 52ish adjusted?). I just think it would be useful if we knew where we stand, what calibrated dyno figure is the equivalent of our limit, and if there is any tolerance on that. For example, let us say it is 50bhp (unajusted), with a tolerance of +1?, so anyone testing over 51+bhp is disqualified. Because if Bradders was 50, a minor variation in contitions could see him creep over 50 (if that was the non-adjusted limit), but I don't think it would be fair to exlude him at 50-51, because it could just be tolerance in the test.

I know you haven't had time to properly look at it, but I think it would be useful to lay out the intentions of the test over the next few weeks so there are no surprises at Mallory.
Old 16-Mar-2011, 11:57
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
Because if Bradders was 50, a minor variation in contitions could see him creep over 50 (if that was the non-adjusted limit), but I don't think it would be fair to exlude him at 50-51, because it could just be tolerance in the test.

was adjusted at 49 - 46 ish SAE

and no one is taking my points over Craig without a fight!!
Old 16-Mar-2011, 12:05
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
was adjusted at 49 - 46 ish SAE

and no one is taking my points over Craig without a fight!!
Sorry Bradders. The bike wasn't important anyway, just the intention.
Old 16-Mar-2011, 12:20
MotoGP God

dont need to apologise...it had 60 really but as you can see I influenced the dyno man with advanced use of Midi-chlorians
Old 16-Mar-2011, 12:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
dont need to apologise...it had 60 really but as you can see I influenced the dyno man with advanced use of Midi-chlorians
Skids... we need a new rule about mind control....
Old 16-Mar-2011, 12:38
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
if a bike has no illegal parts and no illegal modifications, is it possible for it to be over the limit? and if it was, what could you do about it?
Old 16-Mar-2011, 12:54
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
if a bike has no illegal parts and no illegal modifications, is it possible for it to be over the limit? and if it was, what could you do about it?
Quite right, dyno's and conditions can easily have a difference of 3 to 5 bhp for me at least 3 bikes should be checked and the average used. One or two bhp gain is not going to put you on the top step, its all about bottle in the corners and braking. Jimbo has not touched his in 2 years prob way down on power but he rode the arse off it.
Old 16-Mar-2011, 13:22
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Quite right, dyno's and conditions can easily have a difference of 3 to 5 bhp for me at least 3 bikes should be checked and the average used. One or two bhp gain is not going to put you on the top step, its all about bottle in the corners and braking. Jimbo has not touched his in 2 years prob way down on power but he rode the arse off it.
I think about half the bikes were tested? Must have been at least 5 or 6. Skids will know. Jimbo didn't seem down on power judging by how he pulled down the straights. Every bit as fast as Kev's bike.

I agree with everything said Phil. My point is, what are the results going to be used for? So, we get an average (or even a highest figure)... What do we do with it? As it happens, i don't think there are any illegal bikes, but I'm trying to work out the point of even bothering to stress the bikes on a dyno after a race if we have no limit or any intention of excluding anyone based upon any testing. If the intention is to exclude people based upon a figure determined from the Brands test, then I would like to know what it was and how my bike compares to it.