Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 28-Nov-2005, 01:08
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Hero\'s

With all this talk of heros that have passed away I just find it strange for someone who is not that bothered about football to see how someone that kicks a leather bladder around for 90 minutes however brilliantly can be classed as a hero.
I can see the attraction 90 minutes of actuall work the rest of the time drinking fast cars and fast women.
Is society really going mad, if all the premiership players were sacked on Monday would anyone be bothered or notice till saturday down the pub,in a week they could all be replaced.
Did the world stop when DB left MUTD did the stock market collapse did the primeminister resign?get a life.
If you had a serious accident and needed surgery and they had sacked all the surgeons I think everyone would be affected rather quickly.
7+ years of training, skills that most of us take for granted long hours the constant worry of mistakes years of debt till they earn good money.
I think GB had the Hero working for him not the other way round.
Old 28-Nov-2005, 01:22
500SD

Testify brother!!!!!
Old 28-Nov-2005, 10:37
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
While it is very true what you say, only a few people ever work in jobs which would class them as heroes. However, it doesn't mean that their contribution to society should be treated with any less value.

So the premiership players earn stupidly high wages, but they pay tax on their wages like the rest of us. That amount of tax (more in a week what you or I would pay in a year...) goes into the pot that pays that surgeon's wages and keeps the hospital open in the first place.

If all the priemiership players did get sacked tomorrow, what would fill that multi-billion pound hole that suddenly appeared in the budget? Maybe a nice big tax hike - the equivalent of halving your take home pay? What about the nurses, doctors and support staff that are all needed to run a hospital, living on the breadline then?

So the money that would have been paid to the clubs now stays in the pockets of those hundreds of thousands of people that no longer have anything to do on a saturday afternoon - so what do they spend it on? Booze? Drugs? Cigarettes? No we have an even bigger nation of addicted adults that all require treatment, but no money to keep the hospitals open. You might recoup some money from the duty and tax on booze and fags, but will it be enough?

An extreme example, but remember that things are not always as simple as they first seem, and you have to look at the bigger picture!

People need heroes in their lives to help them learn a sense of what is morally right and wrong, to help build their own lives and maybe give them guidance. George Best will long be a controversial hero for the simple fact that he went from one extreme to the other.

Maybe Bestie has served his purpose in other ways, such highlighting to the youth of today that attaining fabulous riches is not the be-all of life, but that having your health is more important?

Sorry if this is a bit heaving for a monday morning...!
Old 28-Nov-2005, 10:56
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Antonye ..you're right this is a bit heavy for monday morning !

I think the real issue is that the word hero has been hijacked and no longer applies as it should :-

Hero.......man admired for his brave deeds.

Is it brave to play football or be a celebrity or pop idol? I think not.

Is it brave to fight in Iraq, face up to a man with a knife or gun in the street, enter a burning building to save life, or go out in a small boat in a force 9 gale to save a life which has no connection with you whatsoever? Of course it is.
( My apologies if I've left anyone out ) These people are true heroes.

Many of the people commonly called heroes are in fact idols. There is a huge difference. There are idols and fallen idols. Both can act as role models and warnings to us all.

Phil
Old 28-Nov-2005, 12:09
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
roberto carlos...hero or idol?? rerportedly ploughs half of his considerable salary into charities associated with street kids of brazil

not sure if that is brave but I would guess the kids who are fed and not murdered because of his help consider him a hero
Old 28-Nov-2005, 14:32
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Gotta agree - too few real 'heros' in the public eye to be held up as an example.

Thank goodness we all have our own motorcycling heros who I think can be looked up to in this respect.

Randy Mamola as just one example.

Just my penny's worth.

Frank
Old 28-Nov-2005, 14:37
Dibble

oh look, another "lets kick George Best now that he is dead" post.

I'm getting truly embaressed with this message board.

A "hero" can be anyone that someone chooses to idolise and hold in high regard for whatever personal reasons they have.

Because I regard a someone a "hero" doesn't mean I expect everyone to, but some respect for the dead might be nice.

No wonder half the regulars don't come here much anymore.
Old 28-Nov-2005, 14:47
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
Originally posted by bradders
roberto carlos...hero or idol?? rerportedly ploughs half of his considerable salary into charities associated with street kids of brazil

not sure if that is brave but I would guess the kids who are fed and not murdered because of his help consider him a hero

Only know what I've seen on tele about these kids lives and I imagine there are those who given the chance would top him for what he is doing. Therefore I would say he is brave and therefore qualifies him as a hero , rather than an idol. So there you are , we do agree.

Phil
Old 28-Nov-2005, 18:19
500SD

hero is different to idol

what is being described above is an idol, not a hero imho

hero worship on the otherhand.................

sorry he died but he had a good stab at life
probably wasted some of his considerable talents but twas his choice
understandably an idol to many, but am surprised at the (mis)use of the word hero
Old 29-Nov-2005, 23:29
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Quote:
oh look, another "lets kick George Best now that he is dead" post.
Sorry if ive upset you Dibble this was not intended as a dig at GB just the hype over a footballer.
This is a small peice from todays Mail by Stephen Glover and his title for his article [If GB is our hero,god help us]

[even if he had been an upstanding citizen,he was ,in the end only a footballer,and i would like to live in a country (and think i did once) in which the death of an outstanding sportsman was treated proportionately.
footballers however famous ,however brilliant ,do not define the greatness of a nation.
our truly great people are writers,scientists,artists,statesmen and warriors,whose actions or works have left us with an inspiring memorial.
they should be our real heros,and until 20 or 30 years ago they were .
since then we have taken leave of our senses.before you say 'its the modern world' let me assure you that it is'nt.
I can think of no great country -not France or Germany or Italy or Russia or even the United States- which would treat the death of a sportsman as though he were a national colossus,far above a great poet or a Nobel Prize winning scientist or an Heroic former leader.
What is with us?our media are partly to blame.News-papers including this one,cleared many pages outside their sporting sections.
television and radio went mad. we helped to make GBs death what it was.but it is difficult to believe that we were shouting into a void.
in the end GB is deified not by an over excited BBC or even a pious looking Tony Blair struggling to find the most sycophantic words,but by people who have been encouraged to look for greatness in a footballer.

Sorry Dibble but there is no law against having a different opinion from the sheep im just glad that someone else sees this from another view point.

ian

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit