Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 04-Oct-2004, 08:40
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
Would you buy a British Classic ?

Some of you may be aware that I'm also a member of the AJS & Matchless O.C. and in that club we're having discussions about whether there is a future for the old British classics.
Reading how quite a few of us started with Brit. bikes (in Dementors thread), I wondered what your opinons were.

Current lines of thinking are:
1) Brit bikes are dying out since mainly their owners are over sixty and within 20 years will all be off the road. At this point all the classic bikes will be left in rusting heaps around the country in sheds.
2) There will always be a few people who are interested (and mechanically capable) enough to ride a classic bike but there will be far fewer than today.
3) Younger riders (in their 20's and 30's) who have never experienced riding the classic bikes, will buy them as a cheap alternative to their 'plastic rockets' and use them for fun every now and again. You can have a lot of fun pushing a classic bike to its handling limits and still be within the speed limit!
4) Currently most classic bike owners do their own maintenance, if sufficient numbers of bikes were still being ridden (by people who didn't want to do their own maintenance) a number of small workshops would look after the sales/servicing in the future.

Any comments?
Old 04-Oct-2004, 08:58
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
would i buy a british classic?..........i'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

i think there was a book out a while ago called 'whatever happened to the british motorcycle industry?' and the overwhelming answer from the modern bike press was......who gives a fcuk.

this is a clearly a very negative view from my behalf but one i'm sure plenty of people share if they're honest.

having said that, its purely because its just not my thing but i can apprechiate other peoples interest in them and do think its would be a shame if it all died out.
Old 04-Oct-2004, 10:01
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
I would rather have my knob cut off without anesthetic!

Having owned various "classic" British bikes in my dark and distant yoof, no ******* way! They were without exception, ugly, unreliable, ****ed oil from every oriface and some that weren't, didn't handle, didn't go and most definately didn't stop.

With regard to my qualifications for this rant, here is a small selection of the bikes I once was unfortunate enough to own.....

Ariel leader - would sieze at the drop of a hat
BSA Bantam - nuff said
Triumph T100SS - sprung a leak in the fuel tank and met a firey end in Uppingham
Triumph Bonneville - awful oil in frame model, regularly broke spokes in wheel giving a most "interesting " handling experience
Norton Commando 750 - Almost handled, but then bit you just when you thought it was doing ok
Norton 850 Interstate - with the infamous low vibration frame - my arse!

Stuff it, I'm fed up already. Just in case you missed the message - NO!!!!!

[Edited on 4-10-2004 by yeti]
Old 04-Oct-2004, 10:21
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I'd love a Manx Norton for classic racing - oh yes indeedy. (prefer a 350 Ducati though)
Old 04-Oct-2004, 10:27
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
You forgot an option at the top for "Yes I'd buy one, if they weren't so bleeding expensive."

Some of the prices wanted for Brit bikes are completely in cloud cookoo land. You mention getting one as a cheap alternative to a "plastic rocket". Should be the other way round. A three to four year old Japanese four would be the cheap alternative.. Madness....
Old 04-Oct-2004, 11:16
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Got to agree on the pricing thing-classic's ain't cheap as you well know Eamonn!
I have 5 bikes currently
2001 Ducati ST4S-bought new and now worth about £4-4,500
1992 Yamaha TZ250-race bike so not really relevant but worth about £2,500
1988 Gilera Nuova Saturno worth about £2-2,500
1971 BSA D14/4 Bantam-basket case but worth about £600 when fully rebuilt which is about what it will cost to rebuild.
1952 Gilera Saturno-worth about £6-6,500 for which I could have bought a NEW bike, if that was what I wanted........

John
Old 04-Oct-2004, 11:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
They just don't do it for me at all, but to be honest that stands for all "classic" bikes, whether Brit or Euro.

I can perhaps appreciate that some represent "victories past" and hold historic racing pedigree, but for me they don't do it.

Tim
Old 04-Oct-2004, 15:02
500SD

Mood: Not sure
I'm affraid the oldest bike that I fancy is a 888
Could be talked into having an old MGB Roadster though, but not any old british bikes I'm affraid.
I have a couple of friends who own a Matchless, Caythorpe, ajs etc and they constantly sit with drip trays under them or are being re-built, I haven't the patience or room for a British Classic (or mechanical know how )

Darren
Old 04-Oct-2004, 15:05
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Well I would love an old Brit Banger.
Marko and I are often seen trawling the Newark Autojumbles for bits,tools and stuff.I always go misty eyed when I see a BSA C15 (My first road bike) or one of its derivatives for sale.A C25 Barracuda or Starfire would be perfect.At the recent BMF Tail end rally there was a Triumph 250 Trophy,(same bike differant tank badge)for sale.I was very tempted.Not bothered about anything super imaculate,or "concours" as they say in classic speak.Just want one to tinker with and the occasional ride to the pub.
Once I've got this house move and my garage sorted,.....hmm.
Old 04-Oct-2004, 15:07
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Don't talk b*****s Keefy, you know you would hate the bloody thing! I got all misty eyed at a lovely Triumph scrambles bike at the recent Popham Megameet, but I had Kwikbitch with me and sanity prevailed.......

Also, couldn't get it in the boot!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit