Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Mar-2011, 09:09
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

The (almost) Perfect start to 2011

Well, it has been a long off-season! I finished 2010 strong, although a good deal of that was due to my confidence in the Wet at Cadwell bagging me the double win at the season closer (only just from Phil). So, with people closing in on me, a not exactly “proven” record in the dry, a lot of expectation from the stunning looking new bike, and a new sponsor that I wanted to get off to a good start with (on my least favourite track), I had the odd sleepless night and honestly expected to struggle to be 5th.

Qualifying
Phil had obviously decided he needed to keep an eye on me, so followed me out from the end of the pit-lane. I mistakenly thought (as I had the day before with Kev P), that I could lose him on the first lap and set about finding a decent 59s lap, which I had hoped would see me into the top 3. Well, lap after lap on the back straight I would peer over my shoulder and Phil would be stuck there like a limpit. We were doing fairly consistent 59s laps (as I later found Jimbo and Kev P had been doing a few hundred yards behind us). Anyway, on the very last lap approaching Druids Kev E appeared on the horizon. I knew the lap had started well and couldn’t afford to be behind Kev through druids, so I came off the brakes a little earlier than normal and flew round the outside of him, still managing to find a late apex that flung me down the hill at a nice pace. The rest of the lap flowed nicely and I was the first Class B bike to pop into the 58s zone…. Pole was about the perfect start to the season, but with Phil, Kev P, and Jimbo all lined up next to me with 59s laps I knew it was going to be a long afternoon.

Race #1
Kev and Phil had their usual Rocketship starts and edged ahead of me, but I managed to claw back Phil somewhere on the first lap (either Paddock Hill or Druids), and set about making sure Kev didn’t open up a gap. I got past Kev on the second lap and had hoped that would be an end to all the fun and games… how wrong I was! First, I must have swapped places with Jimbo and Kev at least 10 times, with each of us leading a lap or two. Unfortunately for Jimbo, just as he was looking strong to hold the lead, his exhaust started waving around on the side of his bike. I followed for about a lap and a half, not quite having the balls to pass him because I didn’t want his exhaust bouncing up into my face or under my front wheel. Just before this distraction, I had also lost my clutch. Now, whilst upshifts are effortless clutch or not, downshifts can only happen when the revs have dropped low enough, and require quite a stamp on the pedal. I did managed to finish the second half of the race, but it compromised how late I could brake for Paddock Hill and Druids, allowing people to reel me in and overtake me. Unfortunately whilst I was playing around, Kev P got past me (again!) and the distraction had given Hugh a chance to hunt us down. I got past Kev (again!!) and just as I was entering Paddock hill for the penultimate Time, Hugh came barrelling past (it must be said, not with the greatest of style, and I honestly thought he was gravel bound). Now…. Here was Racing lesson #25: I assumed I had lapped Hugh and hesitated just long enough to let him get about 5-6 bike lengths on me. A horrible thought then entered my head as I realised how fast he was lapping…. He could actually have caught me and be on the same lap. As I set about chasing him down (from about half a second back), we passed the last lap flag…. Oh dear! I tried my best to catch him, put in my fastest lap of the race (half a second faster than my qualifying lap), and crossed the line within touching distance of the back of his bike. A little bit gutted I had been caught napping (especially by the chap I set tyre pressures for!), but I would have happily taken 2nd before the weekend started, so a pretty good start.

Leon (from my Sponsor, Mabey Hire Services) had been a spectator for this first race, and I have to thank you guys for the show we put on. I felt for Phil and Jimbo. Both had a shot at the win here, but both were struck down by daft mechanicals (chain and exhaust respectively) that prevented them from completing the race.

Now, those paying attention will have noticed that I now didn’t have a clutch (which surprised me a little entering Parc Ferme, where I nearly ran over a Marshall). Although I could continue in a race (just) without a clutch, actually starting without one was a different matter. Fortunately, with some advice from Kev E and the handyman skills of Kev P, my clutch was in full working order within 15mins….. I wonder if Kev would regret getting me back out on the grid?!

Race #2:
I wanted as good a start as the previous race, and I actually got a slightly better one. This time I managed to lead the first lap, and set about trying to pull away from everyone. I had a good 5 or 6 laps under my belt before my shadow for the weekend (Kev P) came past, followed about a lap later by Jimbo. I was thinking 3rd wouldn’t be too bad, but was aware Hugh would have his sights on us again. Unfortunately, with Jimbo and Kev trying their best to pass and block eachother, I was stuck as spectator. However, on lap 12 Kev made a mistake going into Druids, allowing Jimbo to get alongside and then pass him. A little shaken by this, Kev made a second mistake at Graham Hill, allowing me back into 2nd. The next 5 laps were a real battle. Every one under 59s. Jimbo was trying his best to destract me with sparks flying off his pegs through Clearways and Paddock hill. My weakness was a wide sweeping entry into Druids, which would always invite the nose of Jimbo to slip into the lead, but his weakness was at the bottom of Graham Hill bend, which I could manage with a bit more speed. Now, I had to get the timing just right, dropping back just enough so that as we exited I was able to sweep past (too close and I would catch him at the apex, too far back and he would be back on the power before I caught him). Fortunately I had 5 laps to practice this. For the last lap I had a little surprise for Jimbo…. A tight line into druids so that he couldn’t pass me up the inside. Unfurtunately he responded with a surprise of his own, riding around the outside of me. Only one chance left now… that move I had been practicing into Graham Hill Bend. I lined him up and pulled the move just perfectly, holding the lead for the last 2 corners to pick up an exciting win. What a lot of you will then have missed, is that whilst thumping the air in celebration of my win, I forgot to look where I was going down Graham Hill, rode straight off the track at the Marshall point, and very nearly crashed!.... Race Lesson #32!!

Jimbo, if you practice that one corner, the win is all yours next time. Kev P finished 3rd, but as a result of Jimbo’s jump start (and 10s penalty), Kev picked up 2nd place, along with being the only person to post a 57s lap… karma for fixing my clutch!

Conclusion:
Considering my fears before the weekend, which were well founded when you look at the pace everyone had, I am over the moon to have taken a 1st and 2nd to be the current championship leader. The only downside is that my promise to donate my points equivalent in pounds from each round to the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance could get a little expensive at this rate! http://www.justgiving.com/Jolley
Old 14-Mar-2011, 09:44
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Great right up Ron
Class B really is where the actions at
Reminds me of my Class B days back in 2006
Looks like this years Class B title is going to hotly contested

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 14-Mar-2011, 10:05
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
tis going to be a great season...roll on Mallory!!
Old 14-Mar-2011, 10:07
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Nice write up Ron, for those of us middle to back of the pack its always nice to hear what was going on out of sight up front.
Old 14-Mar-2011, 10:20
500SD

The advantage of being further back is that you get to see the leading pack earlier. Nice to see that there was a few of you fighting for the lead. Good start to the season.

Mark.
Old 14-Mar-2011, 10:25
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
Great write up Ron and well done!

Although, your racing lines tip and my sprocket size info maybe cost me a 3rd place pot in Race 1 and 4th in Race 2

Had nothing to do with the fact that Hugh was flying, or that Phil and Jimbo went out
Old 14-Mar-2011, 10:29
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Great write up Ron I relived every part of that. Hopefully my probs are history and we can race to the end. No ones bike is any quicker than anyone else. So really is a rider thing. Well done everyon.
Old 14-Mar-2011, 12:49
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Great weekend for you Ron and that bike did really look & sound sexy on the day. See you at Mallory.

Craig
Old 14-Mar-2011, 19:06
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
, Hugh came barrelling past (it must be said, not with the greatest of style, and I honestly thought he was gravel bound)............

A little bit gutted I had been caught napping (especially by the chap I set tyre pressures for!)

Oh dear Ron... thought we were mates?! Now.. I promised myself I wouldnt get dragged into forum banter and "bashing" this year but that there is fighting talk!!!

However, I do understand that with over a seasons experience under your belt and a perfectly setup bike you needed to conjoure up a long list of excuses to justify how I caught up and past you from dead 9th at the 1st corner but I think it was less about all your "problems" and more about the 8 laps I did in the 58s and the fastest lap I set.

As for me coming by you with "not the greatest of style"... I would like to say that the highlight of my weekend was my line through Paddock!! Not to blow my own do-dah but I dont think many people would to go round the outside to overtake at Paddock and as my dear wife caught my manouever on her iphone I will let it do the talking! But I think most will agree that my line is consistent on both laps and im not heading anyhere near the gravel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQuah0nw0U

I think you should be grateful that I was told about my exhaust hitting my back wheel at the bottom of paddock after race 1! Worrying that I might lockup the rear in race 2 I had to ride Paddock with my bum off the seat, which stopped me getting back in the 58s for the whole of the second race... otherwise I might well have come and got you again and your thread might have been titled "The (not so) Perfect start to 2011!!"

With my retort to said bashing over... now can I again say a big thanks mate for helping me find a bike, try and get it setup, sort pressures, lend me fuel syphon etc and most importantly fixing the weak part of my lap by sharing your lines! Sorry for ruining a perfect result
As you know the last time I was at Mallory I left with the bike in a thousand pieces so the pressure is off there!

Last edited by Simps : 14-Mar-2011 at 19:23.
Old 14-Mar-2011, 20:09
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

This cannot go left unanswered......

You had passed me and were a couple of bike lengths ahead before either of us turned in. I'm not saying you couldn't pass me on the outside, but I definitely followed you into the bend. I didn't think you were heading for the gravel on the exit, but stright into it because of how quickly you went in (ahead of me). I will blame not having a clutch for my early braking there.... it just isn't possible to kick the bike into a lower gear at high revs, the bike will not allow it (try it into the hairpin at Mallory if you are feeling brave!). I decided braking a bit earlier and making sure I could drop the revs and find a gear was the sensible option (I promised myself the worst thing that could happen at the first round was not to finish). I do hold my hands up for being a girl and holding back from Jimbo, but being a girl finishing in second place was more appealing than an exhaust under my front wheel or bouncing up into my face. Oh, and my bike is set up the same as it was last year (the forks as I brought it and the shock as Nog fitted it). Not as perfectly set up as arguably the best set up bike in DD .......and dead 9th was about 10 yards back from me at the start, what took you so long?

(I admit the "not with the greatest of style" was a little harsh though)

...and the pressure isn't off anywhere from anyone this season.

I actually thought I would struggle with just getting 2 5th's, and would have ripped someones arm off if they offered me a 1st and 2nd before the weekend started.

Do you still trust me to set your tyre pressure? Will you try any line I suggest at Mallory?...

Seriously though, well done. There are not many that could turn up under the circumstances you did and do that well with so little time on the bike.