Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jul-2005, 17:44
500SD

Local 9*9 for coil loan?

OK, as some of you will be aware, for nefarious reasons, my 999 disgraced itself by breaking down on the way up to TA4. The thinking is that the coil pack for the front cylinder has given up. If that's the case then I can simply get one and the thing's fixed... but I could do without spending the 90 odd quid to find out.

Is there a local 999/949 owner who would be prepared to let me borrow a coil off their bike to see if it fixes the problem?
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:15
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Surely this would be covered by warranty anyways... unless you've got a very early 2003 model
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:20
500SD

It's out of warranty, sadly.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:27
Dibble

Rally, phone Peter Brooking at DUK, these coils are a known issue like the rockers on the older bikes, tell him you are DSC, and see what he says.

Call CK for his number.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:33
500SD

Thinking about it, I could swap the one from the vertical cylinder... it's just that the front one is sooo much easier to get to.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:37
BSB Star

The rear one isn't exactly hard to get to Rally, 4 bolts holding the seat unit to subframe, then you could even just lift seat and tank and remove coil (probably best have another set of hands).

At least it would prove if it was the case or not, mine failed once the motor got hot, and mine was the rear

[Edited on 26-7-2005 by JPM]
Old 26-Jul-2005, 18:59
500SD

Thinking about it even more - it wouldn't work. I tried starting it this morning and it didn't want to know. I'd definitely need a known working coil. (And it's definitely the front cylinder that isn't working btw.)

JPM, when your's failed, was it intermittent in any way? Mine would run clean for a few seconds and then lapse onto one with the amber engine light on.
Old 26-Jul-2005, 19:48
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Rally
Thinking about it even more - it wouldn't work. I tried starting it this morning and it didn't want to know. I'd definitely need a known working coil. (And it's definitely the front cylinder that isn't working btw.)

JPM, when your's failed, was it intermittent in any way? Mine would run clean for a few seconds and then lapse onto one with the amber engine light on.

Mine did exactly the same, bite the bullet and get a coil
Old 26-Jul-2005, 20:34
500SD

Yeah, probably right... after, even if it isn't the coil now it seems like it will only be a matter of time before one does fail
Old 27-Jul-2005, 11:07
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Rally

Intermittent in the sense that as soon as the engine was hot it died, allowed to cool and it would run OK until it reached temp, this was discovered at my first track day of the year at Oulton, as soon as I left the pit lane down to one cylinder and amber light, then back to two cylinders, no amber light, then down to one again, limped back to the pits to discover raw fuel pouring out of the termi's