Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Mar-2004, 19:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Fitting A Sprocket Carrier

Apolgies if this has been asked before, but I'm fitting a renthal sprocket carrier to the 996. Does this operation have to be carried out whilst the bike is on the side stand because my paddock stand only fits into the sprocket side?

I'm presuming that I have to undo the sprocket side wheel nut which can't be done with the paddock stand in place.
Old 01-Mar-2004, 19:34
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Chris - got an Abba stand if you want to borrow it, may make it easier. Let me know if needed and I'll drop over 1 night after work.
Paul
Old 01-Mar-2004, 20:01
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Hi Chris,

Quite a simple task really.

You can do the whole process with the bike on the sidestand.

Slacken off the Swingarm pinch bolts.

Using your C-spanner, rotate the hub eccentric to make the chain as slack as possible (you may want to make a note of it's "clockface" position if you have concerns over wheelbase etc).

Undo the sprocket side nut and slide the whole carrier assembly off the splines in one piece

Now comes the tricky bit in the whole process. You'll need a heavy duty pair of circlip pliers to remove the large circlip on the reverse of the OEM carrier assembly. It's a b*****d to remove without the right kit. You can manage it with screwdrivers but you'll need two pairs of hands.

Once the circlip is off, loosen each of the cush drive nuts and the cush drive assembly will part easily from the OEM sprocket casting.

Replace the OEM sprocket casting with your quick release carrier and sprocket. If you don't have the special lugs on the back of you carrier designed to prevent the cush drives from backing out, then you may want to take this opportunity to ensure the cush drives are all tight and secure and replace any duff ones.

Replace the circlip and re-install the assembly on the hub shaft and replace the nut.

Return your eccentric to the desired position, and tighen up the swingarm pinchbolts.

Presto...you're done.

Can be done in about 30 mins

Good luck mate.

Regards, Guy

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by Guido]
Old 01-Mar-2004, 20:58
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
If you have trouble get in touch with Dibs, Hes pretty handy with a spanner NOT !
Old 02-Mar-2004, 07:00
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Thanks guys and Paul I may take you up on that offer, let's see how we get on using the sidestand!!
Old 02-Mar-2004, 10:01
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I did this a couple of weekends ago with the help of Mr Butters and his Abba stand.

It really made the job a lot easier, but I'm sure that you would be able to do it on the sidestand.

I would, in hindsight, replace the circlip on the carrier assembly as it is a real pig to get out. There's nothing worse than bending or breaking the circlip on a saturday afternoon with no chance of getting a replacement - and missing out on your rideout the next day!

Get one in advance - they can't be more than a couple of quid - and replace it "just in case".

Other than that it was really straightforward. The sprocket nuts were a real pain to get off - you need a 12mm allen key (I used a socket version) and a 15mm socket for the nuts.

It's also a good time to replace those corroded sprocket nuts, and clean all the muck off the hub and swingarm!
Old 12-Mar-2004, 18:29
Big Twin

i know this might be a bit late and you may have already completed the task but i happened to notice today in a duacti showroom a single sided paddock stand that fitted into the wheel side of the rear, thus leaving fully unhindered access to work on the sprocket.
Old 15-Mar-2004, 15:58
Bevel Head

circlip?

Hi,

I did this about a month ago.

Just follwed the Haynes manual. I dont remember anything about a circlip that was difficult to remove.. Should I be worried now? Has anyone got any pics of the circlip as I am not 100% sure what it is.

Cheers
Old 16-Mar-2004, 10:05
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

There are two types of "sprocket flange" as they are called - the first is the old style one which were used upto the 996, the second being the newer style which were used on the 998 and probably some later 996 bikes too.

The old style uses a circlip to hold the spacer in place, but as this wears you can get the cush drives backing out of the sprocket and it starts to eat away at everything! I switched to a newer style sprocket (actually a flashy carrier and quick release sprockets) that has a lip in it to stop the cush drives doing this, but due to a worn circlip grove it still did it. So I replaced it with...

The newer style assembly uses a redesigned back of the sprocket flange, with one big spacer. This way nothing will move and it takes much longer to wear. It may still be worth changing to a lipped sprocket if you haven't got one just in case.

The new style sprocket flange (part #5) is 95 quid inc VAT from a dealer and the spacer (part #12) is about 7 quid, so you're looking at a touch over 100 to replace them. if you're lucky, you may be able to get one from a breakers - I paid 35 quid for the lot.
Old 16-Mar-2004, 10:06
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

...and here's the newer style sprocket assembly.