Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 14-Feb-2006, 23:45
Mille

Mood: gutted.
advice sought

Hi all,

Yep here i go again with more stupid newbie questions. (apologies)

So finally the rain has stopped and i rode to a business meeting tonight - about 15 miles each way on the bypass - and something has gotten to the point where i felt i should ask about it cos it is worrying me.

Since i had my bike ('97 600ss) resticted to 33bhp i have noticed a jingling sound when im at about 3-4k revs.
When i accelerate it goes and also when i slow down it goes, its just there when im cruising along in any gear.
It's definately engine related, as coasting along its not there.

i know that the desmo system can be noisier than a regular valve system, but im sure that this isnt that, and i know that its bloody hard (and i look very silly) trying to explain a "jingling sound" in a message on the internet, but i thought i would start here and ask to see if anyone has any ideas what may be causing it.

It's loud enough for me to hear over the engine and wind, through a roof helmet at 80mph.

Do you think that the mechanic could have left something loose inside when they fitted the restriction kit, and its jingling around?

Sorry again for asking a stupid and probably inanswerable question.

Cy
Old 14-Feb-2006, 23:51
Ducati Corse

Sounds like something resonating somewhere. Fairing panels perhaps or something in the exhaust? Desmo valve gear shouldn't be any different to regular valve gear i think. Dry clutches can make a dreadful racket but i think yours is wet isnt it?
Check all the various fastenings are nice and tight (but don't over tighten!!)
Old 14-Feb-2006, 23:54
Mille

Check to see if you ran over a cat, might be the bell on its collar jingling :P
Old 15-Feb-2006, 00:39
Mille

Sorry mate, no help what so ever i know,a bit of wishfull thinking on my part after catching next doors cat crappin on my lawn again it allways seems to hear me loading the air rifle before i get the door open
Old 15-Feb-2006, 01:02
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Well being as a mechanic found a 8mm socket in Fordies engine when giving it a service, anything is possible.
Not sure what the restriction kit consists of so don't know what they have taken apart.
Last year on my 600SS the jingling noise coming from my bike whan racing at Castle Combe was the Exhaust collars as the nuts on the exhaust studs had come loose.
After that the jingling was when Glyn (Scooter916) decided it was fun to put bolts from his van in my Bellypan.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 10:35
Mille

8mm socket in there? jeebus. thats insane!

I think i will have to have a shake down of the bike to see where it could be coming from. Im pretty sure its not fairing related, cos ive had that all off in the last week or so.

I think the restriction kit is just a plate that cuts off a partial section of the carb outlet.
The bike seems to hate it and will bog and splutter at times.

I dont spose it helps that the bike has a stage one dynojet and a predator race pipe on it though, im sure.
Im very tempted to put the standard can back on it but am kinda worried that the jetting will be way out cos of the dynojet.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 10:41
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Have you checked the clips that fix the airbox lid on, as one of them could not be latched on and jingling against the frame.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 18:31
Mille

HA! It seems i only have 2 clips on my airbox anyway....must address that... *adds to the "todo" list....*

From a bit of a butcher's in the airbox and inside the carb venturis, it actually looks like it may be the restriction kit inside the carb outlet that is jumping. Either that or a slide is rattling around (but i cant see it being that at all).
Old 15-Feb-2006, 20:44
Mille

Mood: Lovin the Ducati
I find that a large empty whiskey bottle in the hall helps. I put all my silver and copper in every night when I get in and guess what? no jingly sounds all day! And when I go on holiday I use it for spending money. Hope this helps. (sorry could'nt resist)

[Edited on 15-2-2006 by Rossco]
Old 15-Feb-2006, 23:44
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
might be the front mudguard???-- at certain revs i get a vibration thru the bike that makes the front mudguard resonanate- only lasts for a short while -at about the same time as the mirrors are vibrating-- my cure was to just twist the throttle a bit more-sorted!!!