Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 04-Feb-2004, 12:41
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Battery Life

Went to start up the MS couple of weeks ago after it'd been sitting in garage since beginning of Dec. I was having withdrawal symptoms and just wanted to hear those Termis again. No chance!

Battery as flat as the proverbial pan-cake! Couldn't get battery to take any charge ober a period of about four days so took it to my local dealer. Even they had difficulty and a few attempts to get it to charge.

My previous SS and 996 each used to sit in garage between Oct/Nov and Feb/Mar with only the occasional warm-up and on each and every occasion they fired up first time. They too had alarms fitted so it couldn't be just that.

I'm told by dealer that my previous bikes had lead acid batteries but that the MS has new 'gel' filled sealed unit (excuse my complete technical ignorance here, I only ride the thing!) which are prone to rapid loss of charge. They even reckoned I caught mine just in time, any longer unattended and it could have been goosed!

Permanently on trickle charge now but has anyone similar experience of MS battery. Can someone explain in layman's (OK simpleton's) language why I should now have this problem?