Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 25-Jan-2005, 23:02
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Norton AV help pse

I have installed Norton 2004 on the laptop last summer.

I (as is usual) did a live update tonight when prompted, but it did not recognise the dial up number I am using.
This is cos BTYahoo have upgraded their surftime eves & w/ends service.

[I waited over an hour (twice, over 2 evenings) to download the update stuff from BT Yahoo - and gave up!
BTYahoo gave an alternative number to dial up to, if you didnt want to download - which I have now been using since Monday]

Now, can anyone help me 'sort' the Norton? - usually, I would open live update, then under the title bar - click on 'options' - where I could then configure new connection.
HOWEVER, the 'configure' is blanked out.

I figured if the worst came to the worst, I could uninstall it - and then re-install disc? - but this option is a pain on the little vaio, as I cannot complete installation quickly, without disconnecting the d drive (as uses the same port as 56k Psion gold card) - and if I did this - would it bu**er up the subscription?

your headscratchingly,

Charlotte

ps: this little machine could do with a jolly good service/clean up etc - anyone going to AGM who is able to do this?
I could bring with me & leave with you for sorting - for financial recompense, of course

[Edited on 25-1-2005 by CK and AK]
Old 25-Jan-2005, 23:49
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
I seem to recall that reinstalling started the subscription over last time I did it, so no loss there. Have 2003 on home PC with new subscription. No trouble at all when switched from dialup to BB, it just continued on the new connection.

Will it not do live update even if you are already on line via IE ?? Check BTYahoo help pages, may be some info there

If that was any use to you at all...
Old 25-Jan-2005, 23:55
Big Twin

Ha!

I thought this thread was about Norton Commando anti-vibration mounts!
Old 26-Jan-2005, 00:18
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
are you sure the dial number is set in the AV software?
Mine just seraches for the default connection.

I'm no help, am I.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 09:40
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

cheers all.

Karen, I was on line last night when asked it to update - it wasnt happy to do it.

Moto748 - :P

Nick, was trying to change default connection in AV - couldnt do it!

Bovver,

C
Old 26-Jan-2005, 10:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
yes reloading Norton does restart the subscription, - I have just had to do it as my pc got spyware on it that effected Norton - it stopped it running, - messed up my e-mail configs, mucked up my spambayes (anti-spam e-mail filter). Reloaded Norton and a few days later it is mucked up again, - spybot and adaware both cannot get rid of this spyware, - it is changing itself every time it is deleted - article in Computer Shopper this week about this stuff, - it is getting worse than virus's. So, my new PC (this one is way old anyway) arrived yesterday and then this one gets formated and reloaded and given to my son.

CK don't want to alrm you but you could have spyware on your machine.

[Edited on 26-1-2005 by Ian]
Old 26-Jan-2005, 10:55
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Cheers Ian

Methinks its more down to the change of dialup number, cos this is the first live update done since I changed the number on Saturday.

Will get on the case later - and maybe re-install AV, unless anyone can assist otherwise?

C
Old 26-Jan-2005, 11:29
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
CK you could always go to symantec.com and manually download the AV definition update file, then run this, rather than use live update, don't know if that would fix the problem, but worth a try
Old 26-Jan-2005, 11:34
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
***CAVEAT: Hepling a DSC member in no way confirms my potential status as a GEEK!!!***

Charlotte, try connecting to the internet through your browser (Internet Explorer or whatever your poison is) and once the connection is already established try running the liveupdate. It should detect that you have a connection and run over that.

If not, what version operating system are you running because we can have a little 'tinker' in the registry

[Edited on 26-1-2005 by tp-996]
Old 26-Jan-2005, 12:28
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

cheers Geek (s)

I will try to have a little 'play' tonight, if time when I get home (which I think will be quite late )

Tony, I do connect thru IE as it is, due to 'internal probs' - the laptop is actually a bit in need of a 'sorting' but it has been limping on for the last few months on & off.
Main prob is, it had a nasty virus in end 2003, and in clearing it up, I somehow - or the virus did - managed to bu**er it up - it even takes about 15 mins to completely boot up for use!
Another thing with it is, I am only a 'user' and do not have administration rights (due to me buying it 'cheap' in 2002)
I dont keep anything on it I really need - its just for surfing the net in the evening, whilst watching tv & nattering to Alan.

So: anyone able/want to take it away to give it a good hiding for me???? & send it back a happy bunny???
I have absolutely no boot discs for it, nor a docking station, but have all the plug & play drives (A, D & E) for it

I do also have the fast old dinosaur to use, but dont like being in isolation in the spare room upstairs when using it.

Charlotte

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit