Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Dec-2004, 20:23
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Damn,
only 1 date ties up with the New Era Superclub dates and I can't afford to race 2 bikes on different dates (£1400 in entry fees alone!!) so I guess Chris will have to tear my cheque up................

Good luck to all taking part and I'll see you at Donington

Paul aka "that tw8t falling off his 888" (sic)
Old 10-Dec-2004, 20:36
Ducati Meccanica

I'm interested in this.
I don't have a licence but spent last year involved in racing - i'd wanted to have a go but didn't really think there was an appropriate class for my monster.
Can someone give me an idea of the grid size expected please?
I'd probably do the NG acu day as I know Pembrey etc.
And does anyone have any info on catch trays please for monsters?

Thanks and hello everyone
Old 10-Dec-2004, 20:58
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I usually get 3 tickets for the rider and mechanics and I also get another couple at least if I list sponsors
Old 11-Dec-2004, 12:01
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
Phoenix - welcome :)

I don't think anyone knows the likely grid size! This whole thing is suck it and see so to speak. I think the max sizes allowed vary from circuit to circuit, about 35 - 40, and I get the impression that everyone involved would be delighted, but a little surprised, if we managed to fill the grids in the first year.

Catch trays - see separate post.
Old 11-Dec-2004, 15:51
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Hiya Lin - Phoenix - good to see you here.
If you do go ahead & take max in this - Al says if Nige is busy, he'll come & 'crew' for you!

Costs? I have blatantly copied over part of a response to one of Tims enquiries:

First, comparative dyno runs for the 600 and 620 engines:
(620 red, 600 green, both running standard airbox and filter and race cans)

Couldnt copy graph... sorry but...

From that it would seem that you really want to be on a 620, rather than a 600. Differences include longer crank throw, same bore, main advantage comes from much bigger inlet and exhaust valves, shorter inlet tracts and larger throttle bodies means it breathes much much better, which will translate to a large performance advantage. And electronically managed fuel injection of course. The 5.9 ECU is fairly tolerant of tuning mods so you may get away without the power commander.

As for budget, I would say realistically to buy and race mod a cheap 620 and run it over the six race series, you're looking at £5 - £6K minimum. You will need to rework the front fork internals, the rear shock needs beefing up to be competitive, open airbox and performance filter, hi level race cans, rearsets, clipons, two sets of rennsports at £200 a set, and if it's wet you'll need a pair of race wets as well, another £200+, ideally fitted to spare wheels so you can swap quickly on showery days. You'll need to fabricate a 4 litre catch tray under the engine to comply with regs as well. Add the £800 entry fees, you're at £6k already, and you may want a race van / caravan, generator, tyre warmers etc yet. Of course you can do without some of these things (i regard the genny and tyre warmers as a luxury for instance) but without the suspension and performance mods you'll be struggling from the off, particularly with circuits like Cadwell and Donnington in the line up.

Bit of a discussion going on there about it now - maybe you might get some new members Lizzie?

C
Old 11-Dec-2004, 16:38
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Pheonix, do you mean you don't have a race licence or do you mean a road one, as the Desmo Due rules read as follows for some reason.

Riders
#; Must be current members of the DSC
#; Must hold ACU racing licences and must hold a current Full Department of Transport road licence and have held it for at least two years prior to entry.

I haven't studdied the ACU novice rules lately, It use to be that Novices that did not hold a Full DoT Licence were not legible for a Intermediate licence and were therefore restricted to a Novice licence that restricted them to a bike with a maximum capacity of 600cc. I will not get my new ACU handbook for a couple of months if this year was anything to go on.
Anybody have the latest ACU rules on Novice licences.

[Edited on 11-12-2004 by skidlids]
Old 11-Dec-2004, 17:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
I usually get 3 tickets for the rider and mechanics and I also get another couple at least if I list sponsors

Is that an invitation to chat you up, Skidywids???
Old 11-Dec-2004, 17:51
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"Must hold ACU racing licences and must hold a current Full Department of Transport road licence and have held it for at least two years prior to entry."

The reason for the above rule Kev was to try to make sure that entrants had a reasonable amount or experience-we didn't want any 16 year olds straight of the minimoto circuit entering................they can go race 600's with the rest of the headbangers.

John
Old 11-Dec-2004, 18:11
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK
Hiya Lin - Phoenix - good to see you here.
If you do go ahead & take max in this - Al says if Nige is busy, he'll come & 'crew' for you!

Costs? I have blatantly copied over part of a response to one of Tims enquiries:

First, comparative dyno runs for the 600 and 620 engines:
(620 red, 600 green, both running standard airbox and filter and race cans)

Couldnt copy graph... sorry but...

From that it would seem that you really want to be on a 620, rather than a 600. Differences include longer crank throw, same bore, main advantage comes from much bigger inlet and exhaust valves, shorter inlet tracts and larger throttle bodies means it breathes much much better, which will translate to a large performance advantage. And electronically managed fuel injection of course. The 5.9 ECU is fairly tolerant of tuning mods so you may get away without the power commander.

As for budget, I would say realistically to buy and race mod a cheap 620 and run it over the six race series, you're looking at £5 - £6K minimum. You will need to rework the front fork internals, the rear shock needs beefing up to be competitive, open airbox and performance filter, hi level race cans, rearsets, clipons, two sets of rennsports at £200 a set, and if it's wet you'll need a pair of race wets as well, another £200+, ideally fitted to spare wheels so you can swap quickly on showery days. You'll need to fabricate a 4 litre catch tray under the engine to comply with regs as well. Add the £800 entry fees, you're at £6k already, and you may want a race van / caravan, generator, tyre warmers etc yet. Of course you can do without some of these things (i regard the genny and tyre warmers as a luxury for instance) but without the suspension and performance mods you'll be struggling from the off, particularly with circuits like Cadwell and Donnington in the line up.

Bit of a discussion going on there about it now - maybe you might get some new members Lizzie?

C
As I wrote on the Monster site, if I can keep the costs below £5K - then I'm not going to do it. I'd almost rather race the ZX in some proddy series for similar cash. Then I don't need to go to the trouble of sourcing and setting up a bike.

Monty / Chris - what sort of costs do you reckon it'll be?

I'm gonna start a new thread on this subject in case it doesn't get picked up here.
Tim
Old 11-Dec-2004, 19:26
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK

C

or you could just buy a cheap 600, take off the road stuff, put on a catch tray and go and have some fun.

if you really want to be winning and trouncing the opposition then go for it but for me, and a few others i suspect, it really is about just getting out there and giving it a go.

i can honestly say if i come second from last in a race i will be genuinely pleased. i will have beaten someone in a race.