Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 04-Feb-2006, 19:47
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Two bikes for , firstly the KR1S, I think my favaroute quote came from Performance Bikes of the time, went alog the lines of " The sound of the KR1s exhaust note was like tearing calico". will have to dig out a pic I have from a trackday at Cadwell.
But althougth I would love a go on your RGV Monty, the bike I rated the most has to be the Yamaha TZR250 V Twin, only available as a grey import, even restricted could blow away most bigger bikes on any road that had plenty of bends.
I had mine for only two years, wish I still had it

Pic attached is tacken from a track day at Cadwell in 97 or 98.

Chris.
Old 04-Feb-2006, 21:07
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Chris had a couple of 3XV's and i also loved them. handling was superb as were the brakes (better than my VJ23 too) but the motor while grunty and useable was a bit ofa problem for me. I had 2 rebuilds on both bikes costing around a grand each and life was short. A bit too stressed in certain areas but i felt it was always the oil pump was the achilles heel.
My VJ23 is hardly any faster up top, but is as strong in the midrange and has a violent kick up top much much stronger than the 3XV. Handling is better and is even lighter but here is the shocker - the VJ23 is actually very very well built almost honda like and feels very hi tech compared to the 3XV's flimsy plastics and feel. Sadly the VJ23 has an inherant problem, the crank seal is built into the main bearing which is hardly ideal and prone to fail in race spec. For the road in stock form - same 45 bhp as the 3XV but with the CDI, Pipes and airbox i would expect high 50's at least.

Had a MC21 a few years back and loved that, never had a 28 and still think a MC28 in rothmans is the sexiest looking bike on the planet ever bar none.

I do plan on taking the RGV to oulton to my forst track day later this year. if anyones around at the time they are welcome to try it for size
Old 04-Feb-2006, 21:36
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Youve got a very good taste in bikes mate - even the gag bikes (would love that YSR in my orifice at home !!)...I quite like looking at all your pics..helps me justify having 'only' 3 bikes myself !!

Nat

Quote:
Originally posted by crm250
Natty, yeah the seat, bit bad isnt it ? it currently wears the normal one which is not as bad, but still looks far better without.

Monty, that is my parents place in northwales, it is quite something. He restores old ducati's and i feel is fitting to keep a bike or two over there to help my lack of space here in cheshire. The RC30 is already spoiling for a fight with some maroon old 175 elite thing.
As for the gag bikes, well they dont move much and the KSR is for sale, but here they are for your amusment

Old 04-Feb-2006, 23:46
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Thanks Nattyboy glad you appreciate them. I grew up with bikes in the house so for me my childhood memories included having breakfast next to a black shadow in the kitchen, Moving a 350 desmo out of the way to watch TV, breaking a toe on a 175 scrambler barrel in the spare bedroom - and living with a big black line on the kitchen line as the vincent was wheel spun out of the kitchen.
So living with 2 gag bikes in the living room and a restored NC30 in my hallway i guess just is normal to me as i was trained from an early age.
Its funny as when you try to explain to people you have bikes in the house, they kind of expect bits of bikes in the sink and stuff yet are quite shocked by how good they look and dont look daft in situ.
Some people like to collect clocks or antique furniture - my passion is bikes. I was the son who hated them too and swore when 16 i would never ride a bike. 20 years on i am the only one still riding in the family and all my dads classics are never used once built which i feel is wrong but he gets pleasure from them and is happy to keep a couple of mine safe over in wales for me.
which brings me back to the RC30 - always been my dream bike, and i know i am so lucky to own one. I still feel this is the best bike i have ever ridden and i have owned many newer faster superbikes. there is something about the RC, it may be old and only about the same power as the 916 but it handles so well. . . . . . i could go on for hours trying to explain about why it feels so good but i wont bore people any more.
If you get a chance to try one or buy one - beg borrow or steal to get it, you will not be disapointed.

[Edited on 5-2-2006 by crm250]
Old 05-Feb-2006, 16:47
500SD

I wish I could find a mint one of these today. Believe me, they go like stink! There's a beauty on eBay at the moment, but it's been messed about with too much. Anyone find a good (original) example, let me know...?

Ahhh! The 1980's. (Weren't summers hotter then..?)
Old 06-Feb-2006, 10:29
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
How about a nice Yamaha 535 Virago??????
Old 06-Feb-2006, 10:32
Ducati Corse

Quote:
By Stu748R (Ex)
How about a nice Yamaha 535 Virago??????

..OY - back to the wages
Old 06-Feb-2006, 13:55

Mood: Offshore
1992 Suzuki GSXR750WN

First of the water cooled Gixers. When I was at Uni I would have killed to get my hands on one. Would still like to have one in the garage now.
Old 07-Feb-2006, 00:40
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
Don't be soft - get a zxr750 or zx7r !!!!

Get it jetted with a full system and ideally lightweight wheels and marvel in one of the best chassis and most excellent engines ever created

.... just remember the green ones go faster
Old 07-Feb-2006, 00:52
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by chris.p
Two bikes for , firstly the KR1S, I think my favaroute quote came from Performance Bikes of the time, went alog the lines of " The sound of the KR1s exhaust note was like tearing calico". will have to dig out a pic I have from a trackday at Cadwell.
But althougth I would love a go on your RGV Monty, the bike I rated the most has to be the Yamaha TZR250 V Twin, only available as a grey import, even restricted could blow away most bigger bikes on any road that had plenty of bends.
I had mine for only two years, wish I still had it

Pic attached is tacken from a track day at Cadwell in 97 or 98.

Chris.

The bike in my avatar isn't an RGV Chris-it's a proper TZ, a 250D-now that you really would like a go on............

John