Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Aug-2003, 19:08

LOOSE REAR SPROCKET

I was cleaning my chain earlier and I noticed that my rear sprocket moves from side to side slightly on my 998.

is this normal or has something worked loose ?
Old 24-Aug-2003, 21:15
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
It depends how much!!!

There is a certain amount of play allowed from the cush drives, but not too much!!!
Old 24-Aug-2003, 21:49

er - no there isn't any side to side play

It's held in place by a circlip or spacer on the inside, depending on how old the bike is.

The reason they changed to the spacer is that the circlip can rotate and wear a bigger groove in the hub, thus giving more play and letting the sprocket carrier touch the inner hub. Check around the area for aluminium chippings if you are worried!

The cush drives do allow rotational movement, though if they are worn enough for it to be visible they probably need replacing
Old 25-Aug-2003, 22:24
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
I recently had to change my chain as a couple of rings had worn or snapped. It was then that I noticed the rear sprocket had side play, so I took it off. The rear spacer/clip had come loose and the sprocket had worn the hub down so much that it was almost imposible to adjust rear wheel.
It looks like I'm going to have to change the swing arm. You had better check yours ASAP
Old 26-Aug-2003, 20:13

Spoke to Ducati London South today.

They said not to ride it and they want the bike back. Ducati Assist can deliver the bike to them but its up to me to collect it

Not happy, 220 mile round trip to Ducati London South and back

Going to have to kick up a fuss
Old 26-Aug-2003, 21:08
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Warranty?

If it is a warranty problem then where is your local dealer?

Could you not discuss this with DLS and your nearest dealer to stop you having to travel so far?
If not then I would want it picking up and returning!

Ducati Assist picked mine up last year for warranty work but was only ten miles from dealer so not too stressed.

Worth a try though?

Best of luck mate.
Old 27-Aug-2003, 08:51

Local dealer is Bridge Andover which is 100 mile round trip so still a fair bit of hassle plus because they didnt supply the bike they will probably not give it priority which will mean waiting days/weeks for the problem to be rectified.

DLS wont let me try and fix it myself due to safety concerns if I dont do it properly or notice something worn leading to an accident and subsequent litigation towards Ducati/ DLS
Old 29-Aug-2003, 18:43

Bike was taken to nearest dealer (Peagsus) who have now fixed it. They said it wanst a warranty claim and I would have to pay so I phoned Ducati UK who said it definately wasnt a warranty claim as there was no component failure.

What a load of rubbish, surely a bolt that could have had huge safety implications should not have come loose after 5 months.

Basically I told them I didnt care what they said I wasnt paying and they reluctatly agreed to allow it as a warranty claim.

I am dissapointed with Ducati UK that I had to go through an afternoon of arguing to get it fixed FOC.

Ducati London South, the supplier of the bike phoned me to find out what was happening and they could not believe Ducati UK's initial stance.

Come on Ducati UK, we pay thousands of pounds on our bikes (i,ve bought 4 brand new Ducatis over that past 3 years)and dont expect to get treated like this over a £50 repair bill that is clearly something that should get mended under warranty without hesitation.

Think again Ducati UK