Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 05-Jun-2011, 14:53
Mille
Bikes: 916SPS and DD #21

Mood: Optimistic
[quote=Jolley]Exactly what I got when I won a Sat race at Pembrey last year... and exactly why I didn't say a word, because I remember how much it annoyed me.

Part of the difference is that we do more laps now, so more laps to make up the difference. I only finished 2s ahead of Neil at Brands and 40s ahead at Anglesey. I think it would be hard to pick a stagger that would work at the shorter (1min ish) lap circuits

Alan... I thought you were just there for fun?
I AM Ron and not silly enough to accept that there are at least 2 or 3 riders that will always beat me because they are faster, but all races give the opportunity to EARN points and when EARNT it seems a bit of an injustice to have to hand them back

I argued the side of all races scoring points (if there was no overseas round) before the season started, but the general opinion was that we should drop 2 for all of the previously mentioned reasons (I may even go back and see who agreed before the start of the season).

You have argued against my attitude for winning in the past with the comment that this is not WSB or MotoGP, but turn the same argument on its head by telling us Lorenzo and Shakey would not choose to drop rounds.... besides which, the truth is that no-one has chosen not to turn up because they have a bit of a cold (I was even at Anglesey 2 weeks after breaking my finger). As Skids has pointed out to me, these are the rules we entered the season with, so we cannot change them halfway through the season just to suit some people that have been luckier than others.

Not argued Ron.. debated ... and that paragraph was not aimed at any particular person. My point is surely you should keep what you earn.
Put it another way:
Tom Dick and Harry all work with Tom making sure he turns up everyday even if feeling a bit rough. He keeps his bike as reliable as possible and works to the best of his ability, but gets 14 days pay for 16 days work?
Dick takes a couple of sickies or forgets to set the alarm for 2 days and gets the same pay as Tom!
Harry didn't remember to put petrol in his bike one day and then on another day he fell off on the way to work but also got the same pay as Tom... Is that right?

Regardless of all this, if you look back at all the past championships, the winner would have won, dropped rounds or not..... and it will be interesting to see if that happens again this year. Yes it will and may still be the case but the compulsory dropping of points still makes you feel robbed and could well affect other positions
I will still try to win everything, and if I crash a few times, so be it. I'm not interested in safe points, I want to beat people.... isn't that what racing is all about?
]I applaud you for that Ron but I don't think us other mere mortals are going for 'safe points', we are also trying to win everything (well at least go as fast as we can).
Old 05-Jun-2011, 14:53
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
It's just getting all too serious for my liking
Anyway C'est la Vie......... It's all about Fun!!
+1

It does seem this year that its started to get far too serious at times, ok i know its racing, but if you realy want to pit yourself against fast racers (not saying there ar not any fast racers in DD for sure there is and they know who they are) there are other series you can enter, just to remind some people DD is supposed to be entry level racing, a step up from having fun with your m8s on a track day, i go out there to have fun and do my best maybe thats what helps keep the numbers up on the grid, especialy in class B anyway. i only have to look at lap times to know there is no way i will get in the top 3 but its fun to be out there, its fun to chat and laugh in the paddock and on the forum, a few of us have our own little races against each other....... Its fun, if i started to look at it as some people seem to then i would not bother entering.

Sunday race at Angelsey was no different for me than racing on Saturday, a race is a race and there was some bleeding good racing happening on Sunday if anything the fact that those of us who stayed for Sunday race knowing there was a good chance at a pot because so many had left Saturday night, more than likely pushed themselfs just that little bit harder there should be no cudos taken away from those guys they rode well and deserved their pots, had it been a points race i wonder how many would have stayed for the Sunday as well ?

I like the idea of a split grid start. if there was a way to implement it then why not, when i look at the race results i only look at the B as that is who i am racing against. A split grid would give some of the class B guys a chance to actulay start at the front of a grid and not have to try to push there way through class A bikes.

But what do i know, i just make up the numbers and enjoy myself.
Old 05-Jun-2011, 15:05
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

I think the difference has a lot to do with how vocal we are. I am sure Mr Lister, Mr West, Mr Larret, Mr Sheppard and plenty of others have taken it very seriously.... they just liked to keep it all to themselves.

Don't put your lap times down. I am sure I raced you at some point last year... none of the field this year are slow, and I am sure we have all improved. I know I enjoyed racing for 7th as much as I do fighting for a top 3.

In my opinion, a split grid just makes it worse for me in the first 5 laps. I will be fighting to get past some Class A bikes that I would normally qualify in front of. As it is, in theory we all set off in a position relevant to our laptimes.
Old 05-Jun-2011, 15:11
Mille

Exactly Paul

Also everyone that knows Phil (Ghostie), will also know that his comment came across wrong in translation... The riders award for being such a great guy (2010) and the unlimited help that he gives to everybody (helped you a lot this weekend too I understand), underlines that he is a special fella...
Oooh I LOVE YOU PHIL xx

Trouble is emails, texts and forum typing often comes across different to how you meant it and that's when peeps need to think 'did he really mean it like that', before crucifixion Lol

Bradders was going REALLY well on Saturday and regardless of the amount of riders on Sunday EARNT his win, he would have also been in with a good chance if it had been a full grid!!
After all, even I got a 2nd on Saturday... having Fun!... Now if only I could learn to Race Pmsl

Last edited by Sorted : 05-Jun-2011 at 15:16.
Old 05-Jun-2011, 15:17
Big Twin

Quote:
Not argued Ron.. debated ... and that paragraph was not aimed at any particular person. My point is surely you should keep what you earn.
Put it another way:
Tom Dick and Harry all work with Tom making sure he turns up everyday even if feeling a bit rough. He keeps his bike as reliable as possible and works to the best of his ability, but gets 14 days pay for 16 days work?
Dick takes a couple of sickies or forgets to set the alarm for 2 days and gets the same pay as Tom!
Harry didn't remember to put petrol in his bike one day and then on another day he fell off on the way to work but also got the same pay as Tom... Is that right?
I'm not sure the analogy has any relevance. If we flip it and say they all have 2 days holiday, but Tom choses not to take them, what does that say about them? The only important thing is that we race in a series with a set of rules. We can only race to those rules. I don't think we should drop them, but can see how (in an amateur series) there is place for such a rule. Myself, Phil, Kev and Jimbo have all used the rule for various reasons.... and I am not quite as callous to suggest that in some cases that is the way the cookie crumbles... If we agree or not, I think the rule has a place. The way people should look at it if they have not been forced to miss races is a way of having "spare" races to improve some of their not so good results.
Old 05-Jun-2011, 15:21
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
I'm not sure the analogy has any relevance. If we flip it and say they all have 2 days holiday, but Tom choses not to take them, what does that say about them?

The only important thing is that we race in a series with a set of rules. We can only race to those rules. I don't think we should drop them, but can see how (in an amateur series) there is place for such a rule. Myself, Phil, Kev and Jimbo have all used the rule for various reasons.... and I am not quite as callous to suggest that in some cases that is the way the cookie crumbles... If we agree or not, I think the rule has a place. The way people should look at it if they have not been forced to miss races is a way of having "spare" races to improve some of their not so good results.

That Tom should earn 2 more days pay than the others
Old 05-Jun-2011, 15:27
Big Twin

Quote:
That Tom should earn 2 more days pay than the others
If that is in his contract.... If not, Tom is an idiot!
Old 05-Jun-2011, 15:31
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
If that is in his contract.... If not, Tom is an idiot!

Yes it is, he entered and was contracted for a 16 Day Project, like all the others.
They were allowed to take 2 days holiday without pay if needed/wanted... Tom preferred to take the pay!
Old 05-Jun-2011, 15:47
Big Twin

Quote:
Yes it is, he entered and was contracted for a 16 Day Project, like all the others.
They were allowed to take 2 days holiday without pay if needed/wanted... Tom preferred to take the pay!
The difference is that our DSC contract doesnt have the option you introduced to suit your argument. Also, Does that mean Dick and Harry have to forego their holidays just because it suited Tom?
Old 05-Jun-2011, 16:17
Big Twin

Ok, Le mans start then....