Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Jan-2006, 18:38
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Rear Discs

Today i had a new rear tyre fitted and the fitter pointed out too me that my brake disc is badly warped. I was very pleased with the service I got at Micheldever (hants) and would reccomend them, I believe it gets busy in the summer.

There is a corresponding mark on the wheel and looks as if something has been through the wheel and hit the disc. Surprising that I didnt notice it when it happened and even more surprising that the dealer didnt notice it at the last service, maybe the back wheel doesnt get checked

Anyway its warped and I need a new one, is there any reason why I shouldnt fit it myself, should I change the pads at the same time. Could anyone make a reccomendation on disc and pad manufacturers ?
Old 05-Jan-2006, 10:47
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

If the disc is so badly warped that you can see it I'm surprised you haven't felt a vibration through the pedal.
It's no big deal to change it yourself. Once you've got the wheel out it is only held on by 4 allen screws but these will be loctited in. So make sure you have a good fitting key , preferably of the sort which fits your socket set wrench. It won't hurt to heat the heads gently with a small gas torch before you start. This breaks down the loctite.
When fitting the new disc make sure that the mating surfaces are perfectly clean so that the disc fits with no run-out. Remember to degrease the disc with petrol and always fit new pads with a new disc.
Old 06-Jan-2006, 22:58
Ducati Meccanica

I dont suppose you know what torque setting the cap head screws holding the disc on should be.
Old 06-Jan-2006, 23:30
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
I've replaced my rear disc with a Braking Wave one running Bendix pads....
If you need a rear one, I have my old one knocking about... you can have it for a small fee plus postage!
Brake disc bolts - M8 x 1.25mm - 25Nm +/- 10%

[Edited on 6-1-2006 by Rushjob]
Old 07-Jan-2006, 00:08
Ducati Meccanica

Rushjob i ordered some a new set of EBC pads and disc, thanks for the offer and torque setting.