Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 18-Sep-2009, 23:15
Mille

Hi Phil...

My old 500/4 SOHC Honda race engine used Kawasaki pistons....

The gudgeon pin holes were 2mm smaller and had to be re-machined and the valve recesses recut 0.5mm deeper, then they were perfect....plus a 1.5 raise in compression. Worked well with the Joy (Isle of Man profile) cam and the close ratio box.

If I remember rightly the dyno-read-out (still got it somewhere) was 71bhp ATBW

So there's always "something" out there, its just a question of satisfying the compliance police
Old 19-Sep-2009, 15:06
500SD

So all in all 583's are here to stay.....for the forseeable future
Old 19-Sep-2009, 15:50
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfasulli
So all in all 583's are here to stay.....for the forseeable future

For me they should be and I would think most others want to race them. I'm getting too old for anything faster anyway.

These suit me fine.
Old 20-Sep-2009, 00:24
DSC Club Member
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
For me they should be and I would think most others want to race them. I'm getting too old for anything faster anyway.

These suit me fine.
i dont know about anything faster,they still hurt when you come off or get knocked off!!apart from the people in the paddock,the apealing thing to me about dd racing was the regs keeping the racing close ,ie rider skill notpocket money,for my ten pence worth (gone metric now)i would like to propose that more emphasis be put on the horsepower limit than what you actually put on the engine to achieve it,those that like to tinker may find ways of acheiving more usable power range,/delivery but we would still all be limited to say 53 bhp. at the moment we are moving into a scenario that budget racing is becoming expensive ie spend £300 on barrels and pistons or run with a lower bhp,so it doesnt matter what pistons,igniters,timing settings you use but be prepared to spend an agreed amount say twice a year un anounced to have your bike dyno tested,this negates the problems of having to stump up for an appeal ,acusations etc which is damaging to the paddock, after all i am sure dynojet kits,air filters and open pipes (all legal) are far more effective than ignition timing.
now just a quickie on tyres i was one of the infamous four on z rated tyres at castle coombe-for which i apologise but ignorance is no defence !! i have managed to build a monster and recently run it at mallory on 2nd hand h rated tyres and ran 3 seconds quicker than my best race time !! so my thoughts are a fresher engine /setup is far more effective than a miniscule tyre issue,however tyre safety must be paramountand we should be able to rely on manufacturers compliance ,whoever they are,but i do miss the bridgestone /michelin battles of the old moto gp days .anyway i have run out big words now ,and as a novice running around at the back i just enjoy the oprtunity to race ,and at least i aired my unqualified thoughts. cheers phil
ps attaced pick of the new class b 96
Old 20-Sep-2009, 14:31
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
new - old engines?

My £300 ebay second hand engine seems to be o.k. without spending time & money rebuilding. But... it does look like it spent the last 5 years at the bottom of a lake!

they never blow up anyway, do they?

Matt #72
Old 20-Sep-2009, 15:09
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
I have always seen FWR as a cheap place for tyres and this is there current prices on H rated Diablos. http://www.fwr.co.uk/pirellit.htm#diablo
110/70H17 - £69.00
120/60H17 - £69.00
150/60H17 - £95.00
160/60H17 - £99.00

There is no 120/70H17 front listed so based on a 60 profile front a pair will cost £168 so not as cheap as Holbeach

a pair of ZR rtaed is £181
120/70 ZR17 - £82.00
160/60 ZR17 - £99.00

I think the deal we get along with the support in the paddock and several tyres as raffle prizes is a pretty decent deal

Well not racing in DD next year means I have no axe to grind regarding tyres, but Maxxis, whose product has been tested as you all know, by some Class B midfielders and Sam West, the Championship leader ( who would change tomorrow if he could ), who want to put a deal forward that offers the letter of suitability that the club wants, pairs of freely available, ZR rated tyres to participating riders for £100 a pair, donate 2 pairs of tyres at each round as prizes, donate all the cups and trophies for the podium places for the full season, and work out a way to get the tyres to the tracks and fit them. But there is a wall of resistance to keep the series using a tyre from a manufacturer that gives bugger all to those riding in the series, that still insists we advertise their product on the bikes. So PLEASE, dont lets have talk about keeping the series economical when the tyre costs could be slashed in an instant but WONT be.
Old 20-Sep-2009, 16:41
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
Well not racing in DD next year means I have no axe to grind regarding tyres, but Maxxis, whose product has been tested as you all know, by some Class B midfielders and Sam West, the Championship leader ( who would change tomorrow if he could ), who want to put a deal forward that offers the letter of suitability that the club wants, pairs of freely available, ZR rated tyres to participating riders for £100 a pair, donate 2 pairs of tyres at each round as prizes, donate all the cups and trophies for the podium places for the full season, and work out a way to get the tyres to the tracks and fit them. But there is a wall of resistance to keep the series using a tyre from a manufacturer that gives bugger all to those riding in the series, that still insists we advertise their product on the bikes. So PLEASE, dont lets have talk about keeping the series economical when the tyre costs could be slashed in an instant but WONT be.

No one has seen the other letter yet from that Pirelli company. Well I say no one, but lets make it available for all to see.
Old 20-Sep-2009, 21:24
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
As one of the CC naughty boys I have changed my ZRs to Hs and will be pretty miffed if we're to change but if it means safer and more cost effective racing then I like this Maxxis idea.
Pair of hardly used Hs anyone?

FREE THE CC4, we're just stupid not cheats!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 20-Sep-2009, 21:51
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconmaker72
As one of the CC naughty boys I have changed my ZRs to Hs and will be pretty miffed if we're to change but if it means safer and more cost effective racing then I like this Maxxis idea.
Pair of hardly used Hs anyone?

FREE THE CC4, we're just stupid not cheats!

Its an easy error, tread pattern is the same, no one seems to know why ZR were allowed then suddenly they were not. Possibly they are easier to get hold of from anywhere.
Old 20-Sep-2009, 22:25
500SD

Not ridden on maxxis yet!

I have done various TD's with Ghost this year and the last one at Pembrey
Phil didn't have problems getting heat into the tyres and the grip looked good
while my diablos moved around alot trying to stay with Phil.

Iv'e seen plenty of ZR rated tyres fitted to slower lighter race bikes and on the road