Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Mar-2005, 12:00

Grey 748S Tail

Hiya all,

Im new to the forum, so sorry if this is placed in the wrong section. Basically I'm looking to buy a 748, ideally a Grey S model, however im spending a few months researching things to make sure I don't go wrong.

Basically I've noticed that some Grey S bikes have the white tail flash and some dont, can somebody please explain to me why this is, is it a newer model with the white tail? Also if I was to get a bike without it, could I buy the grey and white tail section as an aftermarket part?

Many thanks for any assistance, oh and finally, does anyone know where I can find a breakdown of the model history for the 748, to see how the models differ for each year and model letter? Many thanks!

Cheers.
Ray.
Old 12-Mar-2005, 12:10
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Hi Ray and good luck with the search !! The grey is an unusual colour..and one that I really like.

The white number boarded models are the single seat versions, and the grey are the biposto assuming thats what you mean ??

There are some good reference books about whichwill give you the info your looking for;

DUCATI 916 (NCLUDING 748!)BY HAYNES
DUCATI DESMOQUATTRO BY IAN IAN FALLOON.

The above are a good start..

Cheers and welcome to the club..

Nat
Old 12-Mar-2005, 12:17
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Hi Ray

I have a grey one single seat very nice it is to in the best coluor to

My dealer had about 4 a year agon now they all gone i love it not practical at times or comfortable but sounds so good with 50mm ti-termis

Heres a pic before i got the ti-termis and carbon bling cover from Natty,
Old 12-Mar-2005, 14:18
500SD

Hi Ray

Be aware that red ones are the quickest.

The paint on red ones is smoother and therefore more aerodynamic than grey
Old 12-Mar-2005, 15:09
Big Twin

Hi Ray, and welcome!

Good choice of colour. They are all 2002 models onwards.

As with most that I've seen, my bike is a biposto, with the white single seat fitted - the biposto rear subframe has pillion footrest mounting lugs. If you get a bp, with the dual grey seat, then there should be no problem with fitting a mono seat.

By the way, bear in mind that smooth doesn't necessarily equal fast. Otherwise golf balls would be smooth. Dimpled ones go further and faster...

Old 12-Mar-2005, 15:32
Big Twin

I think mine is like a stealth grey just cuts thru the air like the B2 stealth bomber

Mines the same Brent has bip sub frame to, i wonder if we have the lighter spring to on the rear shock? so is it really a mono?
Old 12-Mar-2005, 16:52
Big Twin

Lee,

Mine says biposto on the paperwork, has the bip subframe, so i'm sure it is a bip. It was s/hand with 400 miles on the clock, I suspect the previous owner had the mono as a fitted option when he bought it.

A true mono would have the lightweight subframe.

The stealth colour is also invisible to radar.
Old 12-Mar-2005, 17:16
Big Twin

HHHHHmmmmm wondering now if anything else was changed when they made them, or did they simply swap seats over and take off the pegs?

Im more wondering if i have the lighter weight spring on the back? Was going to get a bip seat one day to
Old 12-Mar-2005, 17:35
Big Twin

My spring has to put up with 14 stone.....

I think it is unlikely they would have changed the spring, the seat is more of a cosmetic mod. If someone is serious enough to change the spring, they would probably have the subframe changed as well.
Old 13-Mar-2005, 12:23

Many thanks for all the pointers!

It seems if I get a bip or a mono I can still get the white tail fitted, which is a bonus, I expect it will be a pretty penny though.

Ive noticed that the grey 748s seem to be dropping into the low £6000s now, is this a roughly correct estimation? Is there much more servicing requirments for the S than for other models at all?

Cheers.
Ray.