Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Oct-2005, 07:22
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Running lights

Recently been thinking of changing the running lights in front to LED's to get a little more visibility (especially from the right as that is the side that does not have the low beam on) and perhaps bulb life. Can also do some games with colors as well. Any pros or cons to this idea.
Old 24-Oct-2005, 09:41
Ducati Corse

Lack of type approval...erm thats about it!

Lens design is critical so to get decent performance you will need to do more that just change the bulb.
Old 24-Oct-2005, 09:57
500SD

Thanks P!
approval may not be a problem here, but I wonder about the lens problem. What is done with LED brake lights?
Old 24-Oct-2005, 11:33
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

I converted my SS to LED tail light. It wasn't too difficult. The thing is to fill the whole of the unit with an array of LEDs so that it is uniformly lit all over. Using ultra-bright LEDs at half brightness for tail lamp and full brightness when the brakes are on. I will be converting the 4s this winter.
I'm not sure what you mean by running lights though. Since you are in Japan I presume that you mean the dip beam which is on all the time, but LED headlamps are not possible due to the high level of illumination required. HID conversions are available though.
The parking light bulb can easliy be replaced with an LED one and I've already done mine. HID conversion will have to wait until I can justify spending the cash on it.
Old 25-Oct-2005, 03:49
500SD

Cheers for the above. The running or parking lights are the little lights off to the side of the main head lamp that are always on. I wanted something brighter (and maybe fancier), especially on the right side where the high beam is to make that side a little bit more visible when running on low beam.. Don't know how the pre 2004 STs are set up, but the smiley face of the 04's have the lights located on both sides of the smile.
Old 25-Oct-2005, 09:32
Ducati Corse

We dont have those over here !
Old 25-Oct-2005, 09:48
500SD

Well then, I guess you just have to live with being deprived!
Last night I tried to convince a fellow Pom to sell his 79,000 mile 911 and buy a nice docile sport tourer.....He didn't take the bait even after 5 beers! Some people just don't know what they are missing.

I will let you know how this turns out if I change the lights.

Cheers!
Old 25-Oct-2005, 10:45
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

MD,

Mine is an '03 and there is one parking light in middle but I don't see why you couldn't change your running lights for LEDs.
For the rear this might be what you want: http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo...item=3&mitem=3