Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Oct-2005, 19:42

Mood: .. when's the next trackday
Quote:
Originally posted by robo75uk
it was my first one i was one of them plodding around .i did not fill interdated at all infact i loved every min of it sorry if i got in the way guys i will be working on that next time.just to say thanks to everone for making it a great day. also the guys i was in the garage with black 999 triumph and the aprilla by the way my son said dont forget that chair next time
cheers

Your lad will remember this day much longer than another day of dubble hisrty and maffs at skule. Great to see him being exposed to the finer side of life.

It was us who lent a set of drills to someone who'd smashed his bike to bits. I don't remember who it was but I wish I has a photo of the gearlever made with a drill and a bolt. It should be in the ducati performance catalog.
Old 06-Oct-2005, 19:45
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by DTIt was us who lent a set of drills to someone who'd smashed his bike to bits. I don't remember who it was but I wish I has a photo of the gearlever made with a drill and a bolt. It should be in the ducati performance catalog.

That was me DT, my mate (Redmist) stuffed his 749 at Clearways, and entrusted me with the manufacture of a new gear lever! never thought to take a pic, but he said it worked well enough.

Thanks for the drills - next time, bring a full set!!!!
Old 06-Oct-2005, 20:24
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by DT
Quote:
Originally posted by yeti
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu748R
I really couldn't belive how fast that some of the novice group were going!!!

You're right there Stu, there were a few quick lads in with the novices, but I think on the whole we marshalls did a pretty good job moving them up to the Inters. I had one lad who really should have been in the fast group he was so quick, but that said he was very considerate and respectful, so I left him in the Inters at his own wish.

Errm.. that might have been me. Never been on a trackday before, so Monty told me I'd be in the novices and they'd move me up if there was a problem. After the second novice session (no overtaking in the first) Yeti came staight over and moved me up to the intermediates. By lunchtime he suggested the fast group, but that just looked way too scary. Plus I didn't fancy being lapped by that bloke on the BMW

Sorry if I bothered anyone, but I really had no idea of what to expect and I guess neither did Monty.

For a first trackday I surprised myself with consistent 61 second laptimes by the end of the day.

I bought a couple of mates with me (Aprilia RSV and Triumph 595) who'd like me to pass on thanks to everyone who put this together or helped on the day. The event was well organised, the riding was considerate and most all, the other riders were friendly and, despite some expensive looking crash damage, very good humoured. Looks like the DSC is another reason to by a Ducati.

The best biking day of my life, I can't belive it's not illegal.

Brilliant.

The guy on the BM told me he was in the fast group because he didn’t like upsetting folks in the inters by overtaking them on his bimer.

Eighty thousand miles on that bike

Nothing left of his cylinder guards loading it on to the trailer Nice to chat to you mate

There was me thinking he was in the fast group coz he was going like stink.

Old 06-Oct-2005, 22:00
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
Quote:
Originally posted by yeti
Quote:
Originally posted by Henners
That's good Yeti - you'll remember them as the ones you guys had to ask not to keep looking back ...

A suggestion I will stand by until I finally hang up my leathers! If you are checking your mirrors/looking behind, you are not concentrating on what's going on in front. I spotted one chap, in the Inters admittedly who nearly rammed a guy cos he was looking in his mirrors at the time. I had "words" with him too.

being on track at any time is serious stuff. The speeds are much higher, because there is a perceived lack of danger compared to the road, therefore things happen a whole lot more quickly, and as such you can be in trouble that much faster.

I stand by my "suggestion" that TA'ers look to the front and leave what's going on behind to them that are behind. In hindsight, I should have asked your mate to tape his mirrors up and followed him for a while to give him confidence that he doesn't need to see behind.

FWIW, if it was the chap on the R1 with "L" plates, he did seem to improve very nicely during the day, so it obviously didn't put him off that much!!!

I have to add that I personally went up through the garages putting tape over the mirrors of any bike that had them, a couple of people asked me why and when I explained they were quite happy about it. Feel sorry if your mates have been put off Henry, there was a fair old mix of abilities and speed in the novice group, but the faster guys in all honesty would in the main have been out of their depth in the inters. I went out in most Inter and novice groups, both helping out and watching other people's riding and can't say I saw any dodgy overtakes. I didn't go out in the fast group-I think my little Gilera with it's 35rwbhp would have been a bit out of it's depth..............but it still would have been the LOUDEST bike out there.

John
lOUDEST BIKE -I THINK NOT!!!
iTS JUST THAT YOU WERE RIDING KIKE A BL**DY HOOLIGAN!!!
Butch
Old 06-Oct-2005, 22:21
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
Butch

I hope you'rs is ok - I saw Chris come in and swap it for the 890 at one point. He was shaking his head like there was something wrong with it.
Old 06-Oct-2005, 22:29
888 at Last !!!

With reference to the novice group, and for reference only, we timed riders at 60 secs and riders at 80 secs a lap. That was the fasted and slowest after 4 sessions.

I think that the novice group is made up of 50% of riders who would like to ride at reasonable pace just a bit faster than road riding and 50% of people who would like to be in the intermedate group but feel they are not ready for it.

TA5 was my first time in inters and I was well up to the pace of the other riders and didn't realise it. Other than policing the novice group harshly, is there any other way round it? I suppose a 4th group is completely out of the question or what about a first timers only session before placing those people into a group?

[Edited on 6-10-2005 by ziggi]
Old 06-Oct-2005, 22:32
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
The mix is always going to be tricky, I thought it was well marshalled and many peeps were moved up as and when required.

It can never be an exact science and I think it was about as good as it could be - nice job fellas.

Tim
Old 06-Oct-2005, 22:51
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
Butch

I hope you'rs is ok - I saw Chris come in and swap it for the 890 at one point. He was shaking his head like there was something wrong with it.

gear linkage undid itself, - sack the mechanic!

Great afternoon of viewing! And boss if you are reading this I was working and nowhere near Brands Hatch

That track really is a special place; - wish I could have been on track yesterday.

Best (or perhaps worst) sound of the day: The DUK multistrada engine giving up - You could hear it on start finish 2 laps before it came in!

Boy that fast group were quick, - the drive they get out of clearways is unreal!

P1ss off of the day, - BBC camera and stupid producer, -they had not got a clue about the real world,- not happy with that.
Old 06-Oct-2005, 22:57
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Ahh ... gear linkage!

It was interesting listening to the BBC producer, she really didn't give a crap did she! Amazing.
Old 06-Oct-2005, 23:00
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Ahh ... gear linkage!

It was interesting listening to the BBC producer, she really didn't give a crap did she! Amazing.

what were they doing there then?