Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 13-Feb-2006, 15:37
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Bike sales were on the slide here in 2005 and I understand that the trade has had a tough time. Triumph's prices are pretty competitive atm and the new 675 is cheaper than most of the 600's, Suzuki excepted which is a fair bit cheaper again. I think the lower prices helps.

Ducati suffer from high prices and (I suspect) the lack of popularity (as has been said elsewhere here before) of the current superbikes when compared to the 748/916 series. High prices were fine in the mid-90's when they offered something different and were head & shoulders above the competition in terms of performance - now they aren't.

I am not convinced the WSB performance has anything to do with a slide in Ducati sales. They've lost me as a customer for the superbikes as they just don't attract me aesthetically at all and they offer no tangible riding experience/benefit over the older 4vlv bikes which, are biking icons. I've also come to appreciate the good simplicity of the 2vlv bikes.

The Monsters are getting more and more complicated and expensive - as they've always been the bread winners for Ducati I'm not so sure that this strategy is wise. With the exception of the 4vlv versions there hasn't been much development with the Monsters and people seem to see them as a bit out of date these days. My own opinion is that the Monsters are none the worse for being old design-wise as they are still very good road bikes that offer most of what people need....but then I'm probably not very representative in this fashion-conscious biking age.
Old 13-Feb-2006, 15:59
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Felix
I am overjoyed for your brother and that you have posted this information as I very interested in aquiring a new vehicle, so please, can you get the name of the garage your brother has bought his Landrover from, and also the garage where he buys petrol from as I cannot pass up this opportunity to save myself a small fortune. Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 13-Feb-2006, 16:23
GTL

Mood: Sort of shuffling along .....
Quote:
Originally posted by Athelstan
Guys
Nothing is "cheap" in Switzerland.

You'll pay more for your Triumph, Ducati, Suzuki or Harley at the dealer, plus, you'll pay more in tax on top of the price for road tax (which is dependent on size of engine and which of the 26 kantones you live in)

I bought my Duke in Blighty and rode it out here and paid local taxes (import + vat + road + registration + licensing taxes) and I still saved 3grand.

Where oh where Felix did you get that Landrover price tag from - I'll buy two!!

Athelstan ..

I went to the Zurich show last year and it was a bit of awaste of time. 4 bikes and two floors of Harley bolt ons ... ( well almost).

If I go I will aim for Thursday , as the waether looks too good on Friday to miss snowboarding

Re the cost of things ... my second hand GS1150 was considerably cheaper in Swizzy than the UK. I paid about 6.5k(GBP) for an 18 month old ADV with 7 k kms .....
Old 13-Feb-2006, 17:32
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Quote:
Originally posted by Athelstan
Felix
I am overjoyed for your brother and that you have posted this information as I very interested in aquiring a new vehicle, so please, can you get the name of the garage your brother has bought his Landrover from, and also the garage where he buys petrol from as I cannot pass up this opportunity to save myself a small fortune. Many thanks in anticipation.

Your welcome.
Old 13-Feb-2006, 17:52
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Phantom - if you change your mind and go Friday we could meet up at the show and also have a beer or two. Yes last year I too was not impressed.

Ah - second hand is always a different kettle of fish.

Where you going snowboarding? I can never get out on a Thursday but Fridays and the weekends are always a possibility if you want to do the slopes with a geriatric on funny shaped skis.............

[Edited on 13-2-2006 by Athelstan]