Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Mar-2005, 13:18
Montjuic

ST2 won\'t start.. help?!

My lovely ST2 is being a precious and refusing to start.. it won't get as far as turning over. I spoke to Pro-Twins on the phone and described what happens and they said this was a common problem. When I press the red starter button the fuel pump (??) makes that noise and then something clicks but nothing else happens. The guy at Pro-Twins said to take the lower fairing off and clean up the exposed nut on the back of the black thing in the attached picture. I did this, but it still doesn't start. Any ideas guys or offers of help if you're local?? I'm in Orpington and not especially mechnical, but I'll have a go!
Old 13-Mar-2005, 13:42
Montjuic

I looked back through some previous messages and it seems that someone else had the same problem... the suggestion was to short it out with a big spanner. So.. I did this... it sparked, clicked and still nothing... for a while it even stopped clicking and I thought I'd really b*ggered it up.. but it is now just clicking again...

What is that black thing anyway?? Maybe I should just buy a new one?
Old 13-Mar-2005, 13:51
Montjuic

Have given up.. feel frustrated! I have called the AA in desperation... will see if the patrolman can get the baby going... will let you know...
Old 13-Mar-2005, 14:56
Ducati Corse

That is the starter solenoid, basically a big relay that allows the full battery current to flow to the starter. if they fail you can get the bike to turn over by bridging the solenoid with a screwdriver like you did. If it still didnt turn over then it might be as simple as a flat battery. Have you checked the kill switch? Has it got a side stand interlock thingy?
Old 13-Mar-2005, 15:19
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Between the two heavy gauge wires is a white multi plug. Check to see if that is properly attached and that it's contacts are clean.
Old 13-Mar-2005, 15:19
Montjuic

It is definitely the starter solenoid. The AA man did everything to eliminate every other possible cause and each time it was the solenoid that caused the problem. By by-passing it the engine started first time. At least I know now.. should be easy enough for even me to replace. I shall get on to Pro-Twins for a replacement first thing tomorrow..
Old 19-Mar-2005, 20:12
Montjuic

An update...

I have replaced the starter solenoid and it still won't start!! argh! Called the AA man again.. a different guy this time.. through a process of elimination he has now identified a new problem - there is a broken connection in the live terminal on the battery. When it is moved very slightly the bike starts without any problem. When it is left it does nothing. So... no choice it seems but to now replace the battery... grrr.. just when the sun is starting is shine and I want to get on it..............