Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Jun-2004, 09:15
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Do this at some time in your life

Having just come back from 2.5 days on the IOM, I can re-confirm that the roads that are the 37.73 TT course, including the no-speed-restricted 10 mile Mountain section, in total consisting of some 264 corners it is simply one of the greatest biking experiences there is to be had.

PC Plod cautioned me once but other than that, the sun shone, the rain stayed away, the evening practices are magical, the locals are 100% bike-aware and bike nut too, so if you have not been I can recommend it - especially during the IOM TT (first 2 weeks in June) or The Manx GP in August.

WOW!

Better even than the Ring?
IMHO - yep. Different but a better experience all told as it's bikes, bikes and yet more bikes.
135mph on a 748 on the public roads - top that!

This trip I racked up 700 miles on the course - I have no idea what the rest of the island even looks like!

But what gets your vote?
Old 03-Jun-2004, 10:29
Mille

The IOM TT is anything but little circles!
That's why it takes 5 years to really learn the road - that's from the mouths of 3 ex-TT races I have spoken to.

Saturday 29th saw the first practice session, and a new-commer from France, with an International license, went straight on at Braddon Bridge at 2 miles into the course.
It's a slightly bigger version of Foggy's Esses on the Donington GP circuit; in other words an "S" bend and not srtaight on at 150 mph as he believed.
He did make a mess of the dry stne wall I am told.

That's on the back of 3 locals having been killed on the roads in the week running up to the practice week.

It is not without it's dangers.
Ain't that half the draw?

aws
Old 03-Jun-2004, 10:47
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep the Gooseneck to Creg ny Baa Mountain section is awesome,proper fast,but there is some other great sections.
I used to love the Greeba Castle S bends,really scary at speed under the trees.Now sadly speed restricted.
Ballig Bridge to Glen Helen,.........lovely!
The double apex left before the run into Kirkmicheal,........awesome!
Quarry bends (real short circuit stuff!) and the bit of a jump,just before Sulby.............oooh yeah!!
Old 03-Jun-2004, 11:26
Mille

That whole sweeping descent into Glen Helen is awsome.
That final left hander up the hill out of GH past the commentry box always sees me a little wide - on coming traffic notwithstanding! AImmediately followed by Sarah's cottage which is a deceptive bend as it's a decreasing radius that sees a few scary moments too.
The one I can't pin down is the first left hand 90 degree bend once clear of Sulby, beyond Ginger Hall Hotel (?) into the 50mph area.
It's as rough as a night out in Aldershot and twice as scary!
Quary bends at 90!
Hate Waterworks.
The 4 bends prior to Verandah is 90 on a constant throttle, and that sweeping left at Verandah - on a clear road how big are your b"lls?!
Not too sure of Duke's 33rd either.
Brandish after Creg-ny-Baa took some practice.

Ah well, best get back to work!

aws
Ditto the 4 right-handers
Old 03-Jun-2004, 16:55
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Quote:
Originally posted by aws

135mph on a 748 on the public roads - top that!

I do those kind of speeds (albeit illegally) every weekend within 5 miles of my house
Old 03-Jun-2004, 17:58
Mille

I was playing on the Ft William Rd (a85?) south from Inverness, Glen Coe and around to Oban 2 weeks ago for 2 days.
Good, but not in the same league at all.

aws
Old 04-Jun-2004, 01:14
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

I've done it a few times in the past, AWS, and can confirm that its up there with the best of biking. I still fondly remember my first time on the island on my ZX6 and, man, I was quick in those days (age seems to have tempered me somewhat!!!!!)

There are a few things that just HAVE to be done in ones biking lifetime.... IOM TT, Nurgurgring, magistrates court, moving off with a disc lock still on
Old 04-Jun-2004, 11:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Went to the TT in '98. It really is a biking megafest. The racing is almost a side show.

The carnage on the roads is the only downside.

Anyone who has any interest in bikes should go at least once!

would love to go again some time.

Ray
Old 05-Jun-2004, 11:24
Mille

Perhaps a DSC hook up next year?
Like you say, the actual race week sees more bikes and more accidents, and more events more of everything.
Practise week saw the raods almost empty.
The Bank Holiday w/end was outstanding as the locals show you how it's done!
Good weather sure makes it a pleasure too - dry roads all day, and those late evenings.
Practise has been 6 - 9 pm this year.

aws

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit