Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 17-Aug-2004, 21:45
500SD

Check this out ....

'This inspection applies to: all machines, except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility'

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_110.htm

[Edited on 17-8-2004 by Karls fila 999s]
Old 17-Aug-2004, 21:53
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
This lack of understanding and half remembering the legislation is why you got away with it.
The only way you can run without certain lights is ( ie when the CRM is set up for Off Road Use - ie with knobblies NOT road tyres ) is the lack of indicators - nothing else.
For a road bike, everything is needed as per the list.

I did the same myself on a number of occasions but when investigating a fatal rta involving a road bike running track bodywork & a lack of lights etc. my mistake was pointed out to me by one of our Accident Investigators and I quickly re-discovered the legislation involved.

I will happily be proven wrong, I have been in the past, and no doubt will be in the future.
All that I can say is that this is my trade.

I don't know everything, I never will do, but my answers tend to be researched prior to my giving them.
Please by all means point me in the direction of the legislation under which you are able to ride legally - if there's a loophole out there,I'd like to know it.

I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for any one of dozens of separate items of legislation - that does not mean the laws are not being broken and the person breaking them liable to prosecution.

Here's a quick example.
How many of you would drive a Transit van on a single carriageway road in a National Speed limit at 60mph?
All of those who said they would have all been nicked for speeding - the limit for that vehicle on that road isactually 50mph.
How many have been done for it?
Probably none I would hazard a guess.
You could be though!

If I reply to an answer like this, I will do my best to let members know what the legal standpoint is and what may happen should they decide to ignore that position.
With this, an INFORMED decision is being made.

See what I'm getting at?

Andy

[Edited on 17-8-2004 by Rushjob]
Old 17-Aug-2004, 21:53
Ducati Corse

Karl, thats from the MOT manual, not the Construction and Use regulations that Andy quoted. The two are not the same. Your bike may well have no lights and would perhaps get its daylight use only MOT but would still be illegal for use on the road because it doesnt compy with the regs Andy quoted.
A good example of the differences between the two sets of regulation is the bikes number plate. The plate isnt covered at all by the MOT test but see how far you get on the road without one!!
Old 17-Aug-2004, 23:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Cheers for all the info Andy and your spot on about the Transit on the single cariageway, if you do it it certainly upsets a lot of people. Did having some small windows behind the drivers and passengers door windows that I could see through on my old transit change this.
The windows and the extra seating certainly meant they charged me less as I crossed the Seven Bridge on the way to Pembrey.
Old 17-Aug-2004, 23:39
Ducati Meccanica

Looks likes it's going to be back to plan B then, do nothing to the bike at all.
Oh well , maybe convert it to track use only.......
I will put the thinking cap on again.

thanks for info so far guys, did'nt really set out to make such a big thing about this.
But now we all know for future reference.

Robin
Old 18-Aug-2004, 19:48
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Done a bit more digging today and discovered that the below 25mph bit was specifically inserted to make trials - not trail - bikes legal to run without lights.
That is where the trials bike bit comes from and those bikes canhave a daylight mot & be fully road legal without lights.
Boring though
Just don't get caught speeding

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit