Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 05-Aug-2004, 16:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
To all you on-board video experts

Looking to make the leap into recording some on-board video. Have had loooonnnngg look around in many places, including rfconcepts and others.

No problem putting on a bullet camera or two, but stowing the Camcorder is problematic. There is simply no room on the race bike! So, the only two options, I can come up with are:
[list=1][*]Solid state video MPEG-4 recorder such as made by Archos or Mustek (pictured below).

[*]Wireless transmitter to a VCR in the pits.
[/list=1]

The advantage of the wireless kit is that it accomodates up to 4 cameras with timed switching between them. Plus, people could watch the on-board video live in the pits. This kit is VERY small.

The solid state recorders, although the Archos is hard drive based, is also small enough.

Either kit is fairly reasonably price around 100 or so quid, excluding the bullet cams.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above? Or thoughs?

I don't really want to buy another camcorder.
Old 05-Aug-2004, 17:11
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Not sure the wireless will have the range will it? Might also get a lot of radio interference. Don't know anything about the solid-state recorders but may well look into one myself now that you mention them, it's a pretty good idea and I already have a bullet cam.
Old 05-Aug-2004, 17:15
Ducati Meccanica

Yes, the range of the wireless stuff is definitely an issue. You can get "high power" ones that go about a mile, but they are "not licensed" for use in the UK.
Old 05-Aug-2004, 17:27
Big Twin

Cheapest I can find the Archos AV120 with the Video Input thingy is £226 inc.
Old 05-Aug-2004, 17:31
Ducati Meccanica

Look to the States and Ebay.
Old 05-Aug-2004, 17:33
Bevel Head

Mood: Grumpy 'Old' Man!
Quote:
Originally posted by Desmondo
Not sure the wireless will have the range will it? Might also get a lot of radio interference. Don't know anything about the solid-state recorders but may well look into one myself now that you mention them, it's a pretty good idea and I already have a bullet cam.

Can you give details on the bullet cam?

I have been thinking about this solid-state recorders as well...in the sense for Safety and insurance claims for bikers...

Meaning, we can record our ride download and enjoy again and again, but we can also use it as evidence in an accident...

...as the MCN recerntly reported many times the police only have the word of the car driver in the case of serious bike to car accidents...

I actually envision that we could get insurance discounts for having such cameras and being able to prove that accidents are not just the fault of speeding bikers....but prove we are responsible versus the idiot drivers that claim not to see us and then hit us...

What do you guys think...? And your advice on bullet camera is appreciated?
Old 05-Aug-2004, 17:37
Big Twin

I got my bullet cam from Phil at http://www.highviewelectronics.co.uk/
He used to be a member on here ages ago but not been around for a long while.
Old 05-Aug-2004, 17:53
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
MIgs,

I can second the professionalism of Phillip Mace at Highview....

Felix,

Not had any experience of the two items you mention. Might be worth giving Philip a call at Highview as he has tried and tested many different systems specifically for motorcycle environments and will have overcome quite a few of the issues such as cordless/wireless, interference, picture quality, size etc, etc.

His number is on the URL link Desmondo posted above.

See you soon.

Gc
Old 05-Aug-2004, 18:07
Big Twin

Felix, not sure I could be bothered to buy from the US. Apart from the possible import duty slapped on top, you've also got to worry about power convertors etc. Just found the AV120 and DVR attachment for £200 at Amazon.
Old 05-Aug-2004, 18:36
Big Twin

Oh Felix you sod. Just when I've done enough spending already, you go and come up with this idea

There's just so many things I'd be able to use this for, I'm trying to resist the spending urge. MP3 playback, Video recording, file transfer from home to work and vice versa, taking films to mates houses etc.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit