Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 15-Feb-2006, 13:34

748 Blown engine

i was riding my 748E BP on monday morning, doing about 70ish. all of a sudden there was some horrible metalic banging, i looked down, the oil light came on, then there was silence as the rear wheel locked. no warnings, no problems before - just pretty much instant and terminal failiure. couldn't get it out of gear either so either the bottom end has seized or something (valve) is stopping it from moving.

it's a 2001 bike, I've only owned it for 39 days, it's got 7000 miles on it. Only 1300 of those were mine and they were really easy miles. I only passed my bike test in November and it's my first bike. I couldn't ride it hard if i wanted to.

It's at the Ducati main dealer wating to be looked at. They have been really helpfull and were really fast recovering me and the bike, but don't have a loan bike. anyone know where i can rent one in Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire area? i need it to commute.

What could be the cause of a failiure like this? Oil starvation? (it had plenty oil in it) or is this just something that is expected with this kind of bike?

How much oil does a 748 use? it wasn't smoking at all and no leaks. Anyone got any ideas or a really big shoulder i can cry on?

Jay