Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 04-Aug-2009, 00:04
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Andys Cadwell Report in sunny August (long one)

Andys Cadwell Report

Cadwell is a reasonably local track for us and one I’ve done loads of laps round, so we were reasonably confident. But, we also knew it was Tim’s local track and he was good here. Early season battles were bound to be in order….

Saturday racing was planned to fill the time, test the new clutch and get up to speed for the main races on Sunday, although the weather was trying to spoil things.

Qually went well & we put her on pole, but heading off for the first race the clutch bit with an almighty snap and up went the front wheel. Once the bike was vertical I bailed out and pulled the bike down heavily to the ground, then looked round to see all the bikes heading towards me with Will at a standstill behind me. How everyone missed me, I’ll never know but I truly thank everyone’s efforts to miss me. Well done everyone! And sorry for spoiling a few peoples races. We then went off to fix the bike and found the handlebar had folded in, so we loosened it and straightened it. Race 2 was on a damp track after a downpoor, Tim & Will decided to sit it out. We needed track time to be sure the bike was ok for the main qually next morning, so we went out. As I was tentative with the clutch Sam got the holeshot and headed into Coppice strongly but then held his hand up slowing (I think he had some technical problems occurring) I proceeded through and headed off for a peaceful race against my lap counter. The only problem was the handlebar kept folding in on the corners and I had to push it forward, straightening it on the straights! Really wiered on the start when it folded in when accelerating…The rain came down and it was getting slippy but I wasn’t sure how hard to push, fortunately Matt T came through to show it was grippier than I thought so passed him back to push harder to the end for the win. A nice show for team valentino to watch!

We had an eventful evening and put on a small do to remember our good friend Lucie Stone, thanks to Tim & team for sorting this out and to my friends for helping out with the burgers. Shame the weather wasn’t better.

Sunday came round & I went out for a run with Tim in qually. I’d just reeled him in for a pole start. Race 1 was a combination of starts & red flags. Me & Tim had a few battles but my bike was miss-firing and getting too hot which meant I was never on the pace Tim was running. There were some scuttling behind and it’s a shame the 583 battles were getting too close in the wrong places. One thing, me, Tim & Will respect each other and pass cleanly not dangerously! Anyway race 1 was to be re-run due to lack of race laps at 6.20pm!! We got back to investigate the miss-fire only to see fuel leaking from the bottom of the tank, it had rubbed on the shock top & worn through. We repaired it with a combination of araldite and metal fix from Chass (thanks fella), we also decided to put the gearing back up. Race 2 came round rather quick due to the repairs & I headed off feeling much better on the new gearing. I managed to hold Tim off for half the race until he came by into Park & I never managed to get back past. 2nd would be fine considering our weekends events. The Race 1 re-run was due shortly after the end of the meet, it was late & I was tired & hot, but I’m sure everyone else felt the same. Once again got into the lead but could only hold Tim for a few laps. As this race was cut down to 4 laps I knew it was an all-out sprint and put in a real fighter lap on lap 3 which pulled me back to Tim. We got the last lap flag and I knew it was now or never. Tim had a few slides around Coppice and Charlies which gave me a better run on him down Park straight, passing him and blocking all the way to the finish. I got the win!!! That was bloody hard & probably the toughest finish ever, it always seems to be Cadwell looking back to Cleggy & Griff battles….

Well done to Tim for his best earned win, Sam for the double & being a good contender on a loaned 620 and to Matt T for showing he‘s still got-it. Thanks to all team valentino, my friends & family who came to watch me, you all truly get a good race to watch, eh!! Sorry to Trace & Mum / Dad for scaring you guys on the Saturday flip start, I can hear Trace screeming now….

Castle Combe next which is great to have back on the calender, just not on Robs wedding day I love this track it was awesome on the 583 and will be even more fun on the 620.….Best get the bike sorted…..

Andy

ps, my Race Win on Sunday is dedicated to our freind and previous swim head coach, Andy Welsh, who lost his battle with a brain tumor only a week ago. Your cool, calculated confidence and fun outlook to life inspires us all Andy

http://api.ning.com/files/KBM*F-JQkz...esmo_4_Web.jpg

Last edited by andys 900ss : 04-Aug-2009 at 22:58.
Old 04-Aug-2009, 00:17
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Good write up Andy, I hope a few take note of... don't pass if you are going to take someone out, try it when its safer.
Old 04-Aug-2009, 00:38
Big Twin

Mood: i'm a grey dude...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Good write up Andy, I hope a few take note of... don't pass if you are going to take someone out, try it when its safer.

back in the war... they was called kamikaze pilots... lol
kamikaze clegg
Old 04-Aug-2009, 00:58
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Dude,

You're one cool cat. You rode some amazing races, especially considering I was in the form of my life. Well done.

Otei report to follow.

RIP to Andy Welsh, you've had a rough year in that way mate.
Old 04-Aug-2009, 13:15

Cracking race report matey,we all had another great weekend watching you all at cadwell.Hope all that had off's are ok,shame about the weather for saturday night but we still had a good time.it was a pleasure for us to come and help out at the do to remember lucie we had a good time and a laugh or too.A pleasure to meet you tim and have a chat cracking racing between you and Valentino.Team Valentino won't be able to get to the next two meets but will be there for the last one ,maybe not so many of us .
Nice of you Andy to dedicate the race win to Andy Welsh matey he will be missed.
see you all soon

Chris
Old 07-Aug-2009, 04:39
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Well done Andy, continuing to show great pace.

Very impressive.