Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 06-Dec-2006, 11:55
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
1978-- Byfleet-- DT175--car turns into the fish and chip shop...I go over the bonnet.

748R - Less is more !
Old 06-Dec-2006, 12:06
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Melbourne - near Watsonia. 1994

I was coming around a right hand bend and there was a bike coming the other way. I was on the white line and so was he! I picked up and then locked up the front trying to slow down and dumped it.

Doh!
Old 06-Dec-2006, 12:34
Mille

My brother bought me my first bike a Suzuki 1972 A50 'K' reg. It was great, I was 12 in 1977.
I pushed that bike along many a road to find a decent dirt track to ride it on. Fell off nearly every day. But got used to how a bike handles off road very soon. When I was 16, I put the bike on the road.
My mates all took the p*!s, that a bike that old still went and boy it went. It was the era of restricted bikes. 36mph flat out on your ped if you had a tailing wind. But I saw 70mph on my A50, showing off, fell off, P*!sed off. But tought me how to ride on wet autumnal roads, still bare the scars.
Still cautious round that corner now 25 years on.......

Fell off several bikes scince but that is the most memorable. Flipped many times ......... no longer do wheelees.
Old 06-Dec-2006, 14:00
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Oh yes. 1982, on some Suzuki trailie 125 thing. I was learning to ride with a County Council sponsored initiative, great set-up. Anyway, on a bike-school road-trip, I locked the back wheel under braking and was thrown off the bike.
The weird thing was, the first I knew of it, I was sitting by the side of the road, rolling a cigarette, and wondering to myself, "Why have we stopped? Did someone come off?". My fellow pupils and the trainers then came back for me and explained what had happened to me.
I really had knocked myself senseless. Bike was a write-off.
Old 06-Dec-2006, 14:13
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
4 years ago, roundabout half a mile from home.

Bike? Suzuki TL1000S "the widowmaker" (the only non-Ducati I've ever owned)

Reason? still don't know. Diesel? Oil? Too fast? (unlikely!)

Short-term consequence - smashed hip socket, month in hospital, 3 months on crutches, 9 months of physio, year off bikes.

Long-term consequence - confidence never really recovered, hence now very very slow (ask Keefy...)

BC
Old 06-Dec-2006, 14:30
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Last time I can remember was in Spain about four years ago, entered a single lane tunnel (well you could overtake a vehicle in it ) on a good straight road,Concentrating on the overtake I miss a warning sigh that the road curved right, leaving the tunnel at about 85mph ( I gave it some stick in the tunnel cause it sounded lovely) only to see the road disapear from view as it dropped away steeply with a chicane full of bollards and railings as the road crossed a river. Felt like a few boken ribs at the time and took about an hour before I could even get me leg over,the 450 mile bash home was a tad painful to say the least. Never did get to hospital to find out . Lessons learned Don't go into tunnels LEADING a ride out 4D
Old 06-Dec-2006, 15:25
Mille

Mood: Bits fitted service done, Nice
My first bike Yahama RS100 back in 1978, I'd only had the bike two weeks and was travelling from Manchester along the A6 outside the McVitties biscuit factory on an icy morning, coming upto the lights with one car in front of me, they changed to amber, I thought the car would go for it but he didn't, I grabbed a fist full of front brake down we both went, the bike ended up under the back of the car whilst I was on my back with my legs against the bumper and feet in the air.
No real damage done but it was one of those learning experiences
Old 06-Dec-2006, 15:28
Montjuic

Mood: middle age spread
1980s Honda CB400F on the way the the pub on a camping holiday in Devon. Landed on pillion to soften the blow and skidded up the road on my arse collecting 4 tons of cow sh*t on the way. Stood up with the help of a kind lorry driver who thought i'd shat myself when he saw all the muck I was covered in.
Still went to the pub all the same, but people strangely kept their distance that night......
Old 06-Dec-2006, 15:44
Big Twin

Mine must have been around 1971, Honda 50 Crossville Bus stop on a right hand bend.
It was so nice of these people to position the stop in this place so that all that nice diesel and oil could collect for unsuspecting 2 wheelers.

The worst must have been the 1st Moped Mayhem in Birmingham mid eighties, 1st right hander went down on the ice, finished the race but then spent 9 months going to physio 3 times a week, never been right since !
Old 06-Dec-2006, 15:50
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonparker
Mine must have been around 1971, Honda 50 Crossville Bus stop on a right hand bend.
It was so nice of these people to position the stop in this place so that all that nice diesel and oil could collect for unsuspecting 2 wheelers.

The worst must have been the 1st Moped Mayhem in Birmingham mid eighties, 1st right hander went down on the ice, finished the race but then spent 9 months going to physio 3 times a week, never been right since !

I wasnt even born in 1971 !!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit