Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jan-2005, 12:10
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Brake cleaning

I used to clean my calipers out on my honda all the time in winter and used brake cleaner then regreased them with copper grease.

I was hoping they would be done on my 748s at the yearly service but they ain't been touched apart from fluid change.

I read somewhere that copper grease is bad to use because of it can damage the seals around pistons and it accelerates the corrosion of salt on the alloy calipers?

I have a big tub of graphite grease that is hi-temp and very thick will this be ok to use?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-Jan-2005, 12:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
You shouldn't have enough copper grease on the pad backs for any to slop around the pistons. A very light smear does the job.

Rgds, Rob
Old 09-Jan-2005, 12:35
Ducati Corse

You need special stuff for the pistons, not coppa slip or anything like that. Cant think what its called just now though. Copper grease will ruin bearings as its only meant as an anti sieze compund for threads etc. The small particles of copper in it will destroy bearings that move (eventually!!)
Old 09-Jan-2005, 12:42
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Watch out with the brake cleaner Lee. The finish on the caliper bolts ain't that good. If left on to long or not washed off fully. You will end up with little fluffy bolts

I don't use it anymore. I go for the more teadious way with soapy water and tooth brush

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by Jon]
Old 09-Jan-2005, 12:43
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Pistons

Rockhoppers right, don't know what it's trade name is but it is normally a red grease formulated not to attack the rubber seals. Should be able to obtain it from a motor factors. I used to buy it in small sachets from a local factors when I overhauled the brakes on a previous bike.
Old 09-Jan-2005, 12:51
Big Twin

Thanks for the tips guys,

will see what condition the pistons are in first, guess i can use the graphite grease on the backs and the pins?
Old 09-Jan-2005, 12:57
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I use a silicon based grease, it's white and comes in a small sachet labeled "brake grease". Don't know where I got it from tho, just found it in the shed one day!

I would guess that copper slip is a little abbrasive because of the metal content, so would accelerate wear on piston/seal. Get the proper stuff lee, halfrauds ought to have it.
Old 09-Jan-2005, 14:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I have a kilo of the red grease but I can't think of a good/safe way to post it out. Any thoughts? It's not for the backs of pads, I only use it on the actual seals and behind bellows.

Rgds, Rob
Old 09-Jan-2005, 15:14
Big Twin

Halfrauds only had copper grease in there brake section, swore i saw it some where like you say called 'brake grease'.

Rob thats what i was concerned about damaging pistons really as any grease will do for the pins and stuff.

U could use those little bags where you squeeze the seal shut at the top not sure what they are called though, had some copper grease sent to me this way once for an engine bolt kit in the post
Old 09-Jan-2005, 16:37
Ducati Corse

Grease for the pins and back of pads would need to be very high temp stuff to stop it melting and running all over the place ( as Coppaslip is for example).

Am i thinking of a lithium based grease for the pistons and seals?