Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 04-Aug-2004, 16:58
Bevel Head

Mood: sleepy
Puncture repair

Is it worth doing?
Is it safe?

Got a nail through my brand new rear tyre, it also took a chunk out of the hugger

Advice would be most appreciated

Thanks
Fods
Old 04-Aug-2004, 17:10
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
If it's over the centre two thirds then yes - I had one repaired on my old R6 with no probs.

Some places will say that a Z-rated tyre shouldn't be repaired, but I think it's ok as long as it's across the centre (but I'm no tyre expert!).

Ade.
Old 04-Aug-2004, 17:12
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
from my experience.......

yes if the tyre still has lots left in it (clearly yours has)

done 150 (private road) on a plugged one in the past.

BUT if YOU have any doubts, get a new one, you need confidence in it.

personally i would get it repaired.
Old 04-Aug-2004, 17:32
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Motorcycle Tire Repair Guidelines

This topic comes up often with the obligatory dire warnings. So ask yourself ...

How is the safety risk of a leak from a repaired tire any different than the risk of a puncture in the first place? The consequences are the same. The overall risk of injury is also the same. The failure probability of a properly repaired tire from all accounts is no greater than the chance of running over a nail in the first place.

So, if you're going to get squeamish, you should probably do so BEFORE you get on a motorcycle.

We live in an age where everyone sues anyone for anything ... so no wonder it’s hard to get a tire manufacturer or a repair shop to get past the liability issue to agree to patch a freakin’ tire. Our grandfathers would be amused (and also a bit ashamed) at us throwing away a perfectly good tire because it got a puncture. So, if you can’t get a dealer or tire shop to dismount the tire and properly patch it from the inside, then buy a kit and do it yourself.

Keep in mind that a tire manufacturer is in the business to sell tires so there's really no reason for them to suggest patching a puncture. However, Dunlop (to their credit) offers this advice:

"Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an inner tube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair. Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way."

That just about covers their butt, but there IS a point to be made here...

You need to use a proper repair kit and materials, and only on tires suitable for repair. If you're going to do the repair, then YOU have to remove the tire from the wheel and do the inspection yourself. Here's some guidelines for either you or the tire repair shop:

The tire should NOT be repaired if:

• The puncture is larger than 1/4-inch in diameter
• The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass
• The puncture is in the tire sidewall.
• There are any cut or separated plies
• There is any bead or carcass damage from running the tire flat
• The tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer
• There is more than one repair in any quadrant of the tire or there were two prior repairs to the tire.
Old 07-Aug-2004, 14:29
Bevel Head

Mood: sleepy
Well I took the the plunge, partly due to the advice on here. £20 later and an hour of my time to remove/replace the wheel and I am mobile again. The repair looks and feels good so far.
Thanks for the advice, I was suprised because I was expecting a barrage of "don't do it" and "no way".

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit