Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 09-Aug-2004, 23:20
500SD

Mood: Is it summer yet?
Quote:
Originally posted by fatduke11111The 916/ 996/ 998 is such a beautiful bike It's one that I've always wanted to own

Sounds like the decision is made then buddy - otherwise you'll be kicking yourself in the ar$e forever.

I've owned 3 bikes of that ilk and I bet I'm a good bit larger than you. Besides, the suspension is so hard because it was designed for proper sized men

Get on with it, you're only here once so buy what you want.

Cheers!

Scott
Old 10-Aug-2004, 00:34
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"I bet I'm a good bit larger than you"-I have never met you Fatduke, but I DO know Scotty and he is bigger than your average bear Boo Boo., and he's just bought a 999R!
Mind you in my humble opinion it's going to look like a mini moto and get wedged up his bum..............how many cows did Graham say he would have to slaughter to make your new suit Scott???

John
Old 10-Aug-2004, 00:48
500SD

Mood: Christ been away too long....
Monty - I simply can't afford one of those (749/999) outside my price range.....and therein lies the prob.

I'm on a diet though (as I need to get into my leathers for the trackday) - for the rest of this month and the days leading up to te trackday I will be mostly eating......nothing. I might even become 'Not-quite-so-fatduke11111'

It could be that I may fit a 996 - Christ, that is committment I sound like a 5 year old....

Old 10-Aug-2004, 01:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
sonds like Testastretta Multistrada would fit the bill, if only they made one
Old 10-Aug-2004, 01:46
GTL

Paul

As Red sps says, what about an earlier bike, like an 851 SP3. They are a bit like the proverbial, but it so happens I have a minter (really) that might be available. Way faster than my 916 Bip, and probably than a 996 as well (not sure about a 996S). Handles better (Ohlins both ends) and stops better (fully floating front discs) as well.

Drop me a U2U if you want some pictures/more details.

Andrew
Old 10-Aug-2004, 08:05
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Paul - have you adjusted the chain yet, that could be slowing you down still!!!!
Old 10-Aug-2004, 09:09
500SD

Mood: Is it summer yet?
Monty,

It wasn't a case of how many cows, more like whens the next foot and mouth scare??

Paul - whatever you do fancy, go and try it! Unlike popular opinion, I find my 999 less comfortable than my 996 was.

And even if it does look like a minimoto wedged up your bum, who cares? That's other peoples problems. Surely you won't let that sway you from owning the most beautiful motorcycle ever produced, IMO.

Cheers!

Scott
Old 10-Aug-2004, 09:42
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
FWIW, having just sold the 996, am very seriously thinking about chopping in my trsuty old ST2 for a Numptystrada. Haven't ridden one yet, so goona have to do that first, but everyone I've spoken to reckons they are a bit tasty - as far as they go, cos let's face it they are never gonna outhandle a 9xx, but are probably better than the ST. Will let you know how I get on - probably with the assistance of a step ladder looking at the height of the bloody thing...........
Old 10-Aug-2004, 09:48
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
The Tuono motor is stunning, but the handling is quite top heavy and takes some getting used to. I had an RSV for 3 years and couldn't quite get to grips with it. Now I've switched to a 749S it's like night and day. Maybe you should get a test ride somewhere and see how you get on?

The Aprilia boys are very worried about parts at the moment. You should be able to get a Tuono very cheap, but what if something goes wrong or you bin it? You may be without the bike for a while. One guy has had his bike written off because the insurers didn't think they could get spares...
Old 10-Aug-2004, 19:16
500SD

Mood: Christ been away too long....
Good point TF.. I am looking at a Tuono 2003 model with less than 4k on it for around £5.5k - I cant get a 749 / 999 for anywhere near that, I might still try and sneak a test ride in.

I think the MS may be a bit underpowered for me.

Still fancy a 996 - got me eye on one at the mo...

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit