Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 26-Apr-2004, 15:13
Mille

Cooling problem

I've had a few problems with the bike over heating and running badly which I thought had been resolved.

Back in February I had the cooling system stripped and flushed through with high pressure air, there was loads of old radweld which was removed (not sure why it was there as the radiator isn't leaking)

We then fitted a new thermostat, thermo switch and a new radiator cap as the old one didn't fit properly.

Problem solved the bike was running at normal temperature again and the engine seemed fine.

I know for a fact I have a faulty temperature gauge which after a couple of minutes of running the engine goes up to 120 and stays there, my mechanic did a test on it and its definitely faulty and I'm waiting for a new one.

Last Thursday I took the bike out to get new tyres and within a few minutes she was running hot (I could feel the heat coming up through the fairing) and she was running quite rough at low revs, this is what happened last time.

The fan is cutting in ok but when I parked up and turned off the engine I could hear the coolant boiling away in the radiator!

Last year I owned a nc30 race bike which I took to the South of France for a 4 day trackday, the night time temperature was -4 and subsequently the water froze in the waterpump and broke the impeller drive but I didn't find this out until a couple of weeks later when I was racing at Brands, the coolant boiled over and poured out the bottom of the engine!

We then stripped the pump and found the drive had shapped in two and therefore the coolant wasn't circulating through the system.

The 888 is behaving exactly the same way as the nc30 so would it be safe to assume I have the same problem? The bike was stood for 6 years before I bought it so I'm wondering now I'm using it that stress is taking its toll on parts?

I've looked through the workshop manual and to get to the waterpump I have to remove the LHS crankcase cover, this seems quite a big job, has anyone attempted this?

I managed to fix the race bike myself but I'm not so confident about working on the 888...help!

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Queen_gravelpants]