Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-May-2004, 21:32
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Where have the road markings gone?

I was reading somewhere recently (maybe the Mail on Sunday, not my usual rag) about a town (forget where, began with a "W" maybe) that has been experimenting with removing all road markings within their 30mph limits. This includes give-way markings and even the centre lines. The scheme is considered to be a success, with something like a 13% decrease in accidents being demonstrated over the duration of the experiment. Other towns are set to follow suit with their own schemes.

Anyone live in or near that town? Any comments?

I think this is being tried, or has been, on the Continent - they've even tried removing traffic lights and found reductions in accidents. The theory goes that you give the motorist more responsibility for his actions and he will rise to the challenge

Interesting stuff.
Old 26-May-2004, 22:20
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
Sounds interesting but driving to and from work and riding my bike I can only say that no one takes any notice of road markings or speed limits anyway
Old 26-May-2004, 23:31
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
The trial abroad was in Belgium I think. They have designated village boundaries as pedestrian zones, with no pavements as such since the whole area is pavement.
I can see it will work if there is an alternative route, but a lot of our villages have through-roads and these pedestrian zones aren't really suitable for those situations...

I wish sussex would put the paint on the road back the way it should be. Rather than mile after mile of solid whites, why not indicate properly where the real hazards are. Even the traffic cops I know around here think it has made matters worse as people get rustrated and overtake in silly places.
Old 26-May-2004, 23:43
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Agree with you Nigel. I ride into London every day and nobody takes a blind bit of notice of anything unless it's blocking your way completely. Pavements, wrong way around islands and roundabouts, nobody takes any notice of mini roundabouts, one way streets are ok to go in both directions, traffic lights - huh - forget it, cars bikes and mopeds just ignore them, cyclists are the worst, no right turn means nothing, bus lanes are fair game unless there is a camera in sight. Pedestrians just wander aimlessly about the road not looking anywhere, especially between cars etc, speed limits in London - you're having a laugh - there are bits within the congestion zone that people do over 70, never mind 30 and that's filtering through traffic - it's just mayhem now, anarchy...every man for himself....50% don't wear seatbelts, just read there are 36,000 untaxed vehicles in Herts alone....I'm guessing hundreds of thousands of vehicles without insurance in London. The latest one I've noticed is not to bother giving way when joining a major road from a minor road...just keep going, eyes looking blankly ahead and push your way in...the traffic on the major road seems to accept that this is the norm now and they just slow down. You wouldn't know there are laws about mobile phones...it seems to have had no effect whatsoever.

Most of the time it's just "London" and I love it, but other times, it's a shambles....London traffic is out of control now I think.

WeeJohnyB
Old 26-May-2004, 23:46
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by John W
The trial abroad was in Belgium I think... ...

Think you're right.

Quote:
I wish sussex would put the paint on the road back the way it should be. Rather than mile after mile of solid whites, why not indicate properly where the real hazards are. Even the traffic cops I know around here think it has made matters worse as people get rustrated and overtake in silly places.

Agreed, but it's not just Sussex - some grafitti artist vandals in Hampshire have painted double whites down some of my favourite twisties!
Old 27-May-2004, 13:24
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Never mind the road markings what do ya think yer local highways mob do up here when the catseyes need repair?

Flippin dig 'em up!!

Another major contribution to road safety!!

West Yorkshire have taken to this practice, at least you can tell more easily where the border is with North Yorks now!!

No cats eyes = West Yorks
Cats eye = North Yorks

This is very important cos West Yorks is festooned with revenue cameras whereas us law abiding North Yorkies don't have any!!

Ray.
Old 27-May-2004, 23:50
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray

This is very important cos West Yorks is festooned with revenue cameras whereas us law abiding North Yorkies don't have any!!

Ray.

Watch out Ray, according to Bike Magazine, there is one camera in North Yorkshire. Careful, mate!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit