Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-May-2004, 17:15
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
I might just save the money and buy one of Skidlids tracktools! Got anything interesting at the moment Kev?

Hope to have the 748SP engined track only bike running before I head off to the TT, just need to finish fitting the Harness. Could put the S reg TL1000S together with all its trick bits, ideal for road and track. Other than that I have a tuned GSXR600K2 and a Fireblade.
Old 26-May-2004, 17:20
500SD

Mood: Not sure
HONDA VTR1000 FIRESTORM 97/98 (R)
1 owner from new, full service history, best colour, totally unmarked, pampered machine, 100% standard, except dark screen £3150.
ACE MOTORCYCLESTel: 01625 665029

Price: £3,150

PICTURE

Darren
Old 26-May-2004, 17:21
Big Twin

Kev - how easily would a TLS motor fit in a 748 frame?

May know of a track 748 with a blown engine, would make an awesome (more so than the mono ) track weapon
Old 26-May-2004, 17:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Roy I was thinking about doing that all of last year, then I was talking to some lads at one of my race meetings at Donington last year and they had a couple of mates with them and kept mentioning ground clearance problems. After seeing the Yellow and Blue TL powered Ducati 748/916 chassid bike on Ebay I thought about arranging a viewing and getting uup to Lemington Spa to see it, but never managed to fit it in. Then I eventually saw the same bike racing with New Era at Mallory, must admit it went very well, but after taking a closer look I just didnt like the way the engine sat in the frame, looked as if the clutch was in the wrong place, things just didn't look right, so I went and got the 955 engine and then the 998 engine.

Given the choice between a TL and a Firestorm I would take the TL every time, certainly faster and a better hooligan tool, ace for wheelying at silly speeds, where as landing the front wheel on Senna3s old Firestorm at over 90mph sent it into a almighty tank-slapper, never had that from the TL
Old 26-May-2004, 17:33
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Spares problems aren't too bad for Aprilias - I've just come from an RSV. They are pretty reliable, with only minor niggles. The engines are pretty bomb proof.

The Falco can be pepped up easily with a fork re-valve and an Ohlins rear shock for around £750. They can be picked up pretty cheaply now used, I think around £3000 for a 2000 model. As a cheap second bike or track tool they make a lot of sense - they already have Brembo brakes and braided lines too. You can also get decent exhausts and airbox kits to boost power if you feel you need to.

Worth a look...
Old 26-May-2004, 17:37
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Roy I was thinking about doing that all of last year, then I was talking to some lads at one of my race meetings at Donington last year and they had a couple of mates with them and kept mentioning ground clearance problems. After seeing the Yellow and Blue TL powered Ducati 748/916 chassid bike on Ebay I thought about arranging a viewing and getting uup to Lemington Spa to see it, but never managed to fit it in. Then I eventually saw the same bike racing with New Era at Mallory, must admit it went very well, but after taking a closer look I just didnt like the way the engine sat in the frame, looked as if the clutch was in the wrong place, things just didn't look right, so I went and got the 955 engine and then the 998 engine.

Given the choice between a TL and a Firestorm I would take the TL every time, certainly faster and a better hooligan tool, ace for wheelying at silly speeds, where as landing the front wheel on Senna3s old Firestorm at over 90mph sent it into a almighty tank-slapper, never had that from the TL

OK - supermono it is then
Old 26-May-2004, 18:09
888 at Last !!!

Mood: IF IN DOUBT..GET BLAGGING.
tl1000s is a great bike,loads of horror stories from the press when first launched,but never experienced any of them.Peach of a motor,even better with a k+n filter,power commander and hi level harris system (which is still for sale),had mine 3 years,never had a thing wrong with it.Buy one.........
Old 26-May-2004, 19:34
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I think its about time I went and had a ride on a Falco.....but it looks 'unfinished' without any lower fairing.

Hee hee - how about a Falco with duke body work and maybe a 916 seat unit

I can feel a Paint shop pro session coming on
Old 27-May-2004, 23:52
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.

TL1000s. I had one when they first came out. What a stonking bike.

The press thought the bike was crap. I loved it. I took the damper off which made the steering much better around town.
I dropped the forks down the yokes by about 10 mill and fitted the usual cans and air filter etc. I thought the bike was wicked to ride.
Stonking engine. OK frame. I had no problem staying with fireblades etc in a straight line and around the corners. Manged to get the rear tyre well shagged all the way to the edge!

Only sold it because i needed the money at the time.

I quite often think about grafting a TL1000 lump into a Ducati 748/916 frame. But i suppose that would be the greatest crime of all!!!!!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit