Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-May-2004, 22:21

Advice on buying a 748

Advice on buying a 748

Hi there everyone.

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I cant seem to find the answer!

Basically I am looking to upgrade my Yamaha R6 to a 748, ideally a 1998 onwards bike, but it the right circumstances came up I wouldnt be adverse to an earlier model.

What I am after is some information and guidance about what to look for when buying a ducati, tell tail signs of a bad example, typical prices to pay and the like.

I'm probably going to need to trade my R6 in because it has 25000 miles and is unlikely to sell privately, despite being an excellent example.

Anyway, hopefully you can offer some advice to someone who wants to join the Ducati club!

Many thanks,
Couger.

P.S Apologies for the duplicate thread in market place, I was a biff and put it in the wrong place.
Old 26-May-2004, 22:51
500SD

hi and welcome, when i went looking for my 748 last year (went from a jap bike to the duke, same as you) the one thing i made sure the ones i looked at had, was full service history (preferably main dealer), low miles and one or two owners. i think that most ducati owners tend to keep their bikes longer than other makes so check the log book for ownership details, also remember that a lot of ducatis get track day`d, i guess this is ok as long as they are serviced more regularly..when i looked for mine i also noted the owners themselves, the guy i bought mine from nearly cried when i rode it away, he had kept it spotless and kept it on a piece of carpet in his garage with a heater on a timer to keep it warm in the winter, i had looked a four and when i saw this i knew this was the one to have....their are plenty of people on here who will give you some tech/mechanical stuff to look out for but i hope my ramblings have helped..good luck....
Old 26-May-2004, 23:01
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Couger you have a U2U...get in touch mate

WeeJohnyB
Old 28-May-2004, 11:57
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
If it's approaching the 10 - 12K mile mark, you'll need new cam belts and the shims and valve clearances sorted.
Not difficult - just more £ if you're not wise to it.

aws
Old 28-May-2004, 12:07
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Also, do not be worried by the fact that 748 bikes like the track.
If it's been well maintained these engines are absolutely magnificent, I have serviced mine 2x as often as is necessary and it's a belter at 14K miles - that's what the engineer said when sorting out both cylinders / valve clearances.

You will need a tad more tlc, but the pay-back is not to underestimated.
The 748 will scorch many a bigger biker and do it in such style!
You'll be looking a bit daft mind, with that Cheshire Cat smile on your face during your first track day outing!
These bikes are meant for the track and the twisties.
Lock her up in your garage for special occasions and we'll come 'round and rescue her from you!

aws

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit