Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Nov-2003, 13:59

Ressurecting an ST2

I haven't been on the board for a long time, work and a new baby meaning I haven't had time to get on the bike in a very long time. So of course now go to get out and it is well and truly dead.

We tried jumpstarting it but it just goes fizzle and pop. I tried charging the battery but still no joy. What do you reckon is the most likely culprit, a dodgy battery (was new just before being parked up) or the electrics themselves ?

Anything else you reccomend I have checked out before I let it loose on the streets again ? I won't mention how long it has been off the road (I'm adhamed ) so assume the worst.

Thanks in advance

Conor
Old 28-Nov-2003, 16:24
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Could be a whole host of things. Obviously the battery will probably be in need of some TLC or replacement (has it been on a charger?)
There could be some problems in the fuel system if it's been laid up for a long time to, with "varnishing".
Best bet is to start with the battery and take it from there. Solve the problems as they arise and hope there's nothing seriously wrong. I doubt it though.
Old 28-Nov-2003, 16:29

Thanks, the battery has been periodically charged but now don' t know if the battery is past it or not. The strange bit was while trying to jumptstart it, the dash would come to life, but as soon as I pressed the starter it would fizzle and then the dash would go dead again. It would stay dead until I detached and re-attached the leads, afterwhich the same would happen again. Any idea what that could mean ?

I guess the 'I doubt it though' means you expect there to be more problems ?
Old 28-Nov-2003, 17:51
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST2, 750ss, 350 Forza, W650, CB250RS, 5x Royal Enfields

Mood: Nesun Dorma
Hi Conor,
You say when you tried to start the bike all you got was a fizzle, did the engine try to turn over or was that it? If the engine did not turn over it sounds to me like you have a bad connection in the circuit...could be just a bit of corrosion from standing. Make sure all the connections are clean and tight, then take it from there, your battery may be duff but it should still turn over with jump leads. good to see you back on the board. cheers Phil
Old 28-Nov-2003, 18:08

Cheers

I'm going to give the battery another charge tonight and try again in tha morning, I'm hoping its the battery. If it doesn't work then I may just have to pop over to Halfords and see if a fresh battery makes any difference.

Cheers

Conor