Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Apr-2006, 09:59
Montjuic

Mood: Urbane and Witty
Clutch advice please???

Early start this morning, didn't want to p*ss the neighbours off so didn't really warm my 748SP.

It was a bit difficult to select any gear which I just put down to it being cold. It got progressively worse and harder to select a lower gear (going up wasn't too much of a problem, but still not brilliant), it got to the point where I was stamping on the pedal to get it to go down, also had a few false neutrals too.

So, am I looking at a major bill or is it a case of cleaning the plates? If cleaning, how difficult is it to do for a DIY pillock? (any tips, instructions etc. gratefully received).

Recently did a track day and biked into London so the clutch has had a bag full of abuse.

Thanks

Old 14-Apr-2006, 10:10
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Blueto, may be a case of stripping down the clutch and getting rid of all the dust that can cause the clutch to grab. 1/2 job. Maybe air in the master/slave cylinder that will expand and cause the clutch to be less effective. 4D
Old 14-Apr-2006, 10:41
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
What Fordie said, but you might want to check out whether you've got any fluid leaking from your clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder or any of the joints in the hydraulic line.

Sounds like the same symptoms that I had when my clutch slave seals were leaking. Basically, that means that the slave cylinder piston has some fluid pushed past it instead of all that fluid helping pump the piston out, therefore it doesn't move as far. When that happens the clutch plates don't disengage as they should and will drag, giving exactly the symptoms you describe.

bleeding the clutch helps, but if you've got any leaks you'll find they get progressivley worse.

You don't say what year your 748 is, but since it's an SP I think that the clutch slave cylinder down by your left boot will have a smooth top on the cylinder with a raised circle inside that. If so, this is notorious for deals going pop. You can replace the seals but you may find that the cylinder is scored because it picks up all the gunk of surplus oil and road dirt from the front sprocket, so replacing the seals won't cure it (or will only be a temporary fix).

If this is the case, look out for a later uprated one. There are usually one or two on eBay and they look as if they've got a big torx head in the centre.

Or if you're feeling flush, you could go for a bling one with a bigger bore that will also lighten the clutch action. You can get these from loads of places STM, MPL, Tecmoto, JHP etc...just don't go for one with too big a bore otherwise you'll find that it's a pig to bleed through and may give you exactly the same symptoms you've got now (because the bore is bigger it doesn't move as far for the volume of fluid your master cylinder can pump). I would reckon if you go for a bling piece of kit, go for a 28mm rather than a 30mm
Old 14-Apr-2006, 12:19
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Try bleeding the clutch and adding new fluid first, I had the similar trouble yesterday on a ride, where the lever went dead until I pumped it. But, my fluid is very black and worn out, so i will be changing it today.
Old 14-Apr-2006, 13:09
Montjuic

Cheers guys, really appreciate the advice, will let you knwo how I get on.
Old 14-Apr-2006, 23:58
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

FYI

The black stuff I drained today was like water the DOT 4 I put in was like runny jelly.

Thats why I couldn't get it into gear without pumping, maybe you will find the same inprovement.

Gutted though, i have only done 2500 mile since last change, maybe time for new plates and basket.
Old 15-Apr-2006, 07:28
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
blueto, as the others have said sounds more like a clutch drag problem than anything terminal.
If you're not already doing so, run an open cover - keeps it cooler, cleaner, for longer. If you're dedicated to closed covers, then from time to time and especially after prolonged thrashing remove the clutch pack and clean all the friction and drive plates, check the condition of the basket, (notches from the plate tangs promote drag and other problems) and the security of the centre nut, (if this comes loose clutch centre moves out enough to contact cover and give drag).
PS.
F*$k the neighbours, your rockers are way more important, ensure you warm the bike thoroughly before any 'undue 'stress is put on it.
Good luck.
Old 15-Apr-2006, 07:30
Mille

Desmo 748, frequent clutch fluid changes - Situation Normal!
Old 15-Apr-2006, 07:35
Mille

PPS
blueto if you do require a new clutch slave cylinder, i have one for sale plus loads of other bits (see market place, post by me, "garage clearout". Mind you if you have the old type you'll need the new pushrod too, new type is more reliable!!
Old 15-Apr-2006, 15:38
Montjuic

Thanks again guys, I (ok my neighbour), bled the system yesterday. I took her out for a blat today and it felt like a new bike. Will keep an eye on the level and the need to replace seals etc.

Thanks for the offer raykay748R will see how the old one bears up before getting a replacement.