Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Mar-2006, 19:06

900ss sump plug

Hi can any one help tried to shift my sump plug but the allen key hole in the plug has rounded corners and I cant shift it.
Old 03-Mar-2006, 19:12
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
When I bought my 748SP many years ago it was suffering the same (just had a 600 mile service done by Daytona in Islington!!)....anyway, I got and impact driver and literally chisel a slot in the sump plug with it before I could turn it out. In such a situation I would advise you to go to a dealer or preferably some decent engineering workshop that could do it for you.
Old 03-Mar-2006, 19:53
Montjuic

Mood: Here comes the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Had my 900SS for over 6 years now. The 1st time I tried to drain the oil I met the same problem as you. I got round it by removing the gauze filter on the right hand side of the engine low down, and then removing the oil filter. this drains most if not all of the old oil. Replace the 2 items and refill with fresh oil. Cheers, Bri.
Old 04-Mar-2006, 02:54
Bevel Head

Note:
The sump plug's socket opening is tapered so it's easy to think the socket is fully in place when it's not. Then when you try to loosen it or torque it, it strips the soft plug. Happens alot.

use the methods already posted, and replace with a new OEM plug, or an aftermrket one.
Old 04-Mar-2006, 18:28
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Use any old chisel and whack it out - worked for me with the DD bike.

I've replaced it with a fancy ally one to lockwire, but I'd recommend you replace it with the same to save rounding it out each time.
Old 04-Mar-2006, 19:33

Thanks for your help

Hi thanks to everybody that replied for your help think i will drain it out through the filter for now and get it done later just got to fit an evolution clutch slave cylinder then i am back on the road.