Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Aug-2006, 07:53
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn999
The 748 is a good looking bike but the original 999 is the best of the later breed. Why? On this first version the original design concept came through unadulterated and pure without the modifications later demanded by public opinion - the slashes in the nose fairing, the cast swingarm. I actually prefer the earlier look.

What really ****ed me off was the fact that you could buy brand new 999 base model for about 8.5k from DK Motorcycles within a couple of years of their launch. OK, I don't expect any manufacturer to worry too much about us early purchasers a couple of years down the line, but do you remember when 916s were really expensive and kept their price? Ducati offloading stock cheap did me no favours, but all you lucky people who took up this offer were the real winners. I'm sure Ducati lost money on it and devalued their brand to boot.

Sorry, grabbed 2 very worthy points from your post.

Thats the first time I've seen anyone mention the 2 different shape 999's, like you I prefer the first sleeker, lower narrow faired version, the 05 on was a watered down look with "better" ergonomics but it does appeal to more people.

the reason the 916 held its value was that Ducati underproduced and couldn't meet demand, over the years they've increased production and now manufacture too many bikes so its ends up in end of season close outs and having to offer incentives to move them, destroying second hand values. There is no exclusivity, even the DD16RR is going to end up in a big production run and I bet they do another run the next year. Compare that to BMW who restrict supply to keep new prices high but more importantly residuals strong. Similarly BMW dealers will always try and buy bikes back rather than let them go to other dealers, they'll offer good prices for them, I can't say any Ducati dealer I've been to would do that. Whatever they do with the shape they also need to keep the bike exclusive, reading their business plan they do seem to recognize that so i'd guess its going to be expensive and with 999 trade ins having low values not many of us will swap anyway
Old 25-Aug-2006, 08:09
Mille

Well my personal opinion is the 916 series does now look a little dated,however its still a stunning design, ive just sold my 748 and purchased a 749, i really disliked the 749 when launched but its really grown on me, most non bike friends tell me the 749 looks much more up to date which i think is hard to argue with, however if you ask me "in 10 years time will it look so good?" my honest answer would be no, designs such as the 916 dont happen very often, thats what makes them so iconic.
Heres a couple of apparent spyshots of the new bike found on a website from the usa, hope you havent seen them before
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spy1.jpg (56.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg spy2.jpg (55.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 26-Aug-2006, 10:56
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn999
The 748 is a good looking bike but the original 999 is the best of the later breed. Why? On this first version the original design concept came through unadulterated and pure without the modifications later demanded by public opinion - the slashes in the nose fairing, the cast swingarm. I actually prefer the earlier look.
Nah mate,the fairing changes were made after instability problems in AMA Superbike racing.I saw Eric Bostroms bike at Daytona in '04 where they had blanked off the air ducts and put on a wider screen.Thats why America got the new shape bikes before us.
Anorak mode off!
Old 26-Aug-2006, 11:04
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
999r has allways had the wider fairing.
Old 26-Aug-2006, 11:58
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
999r has allways had the wider fairing.
Yes,but now its wider,....and slotless!
Old 26-Aug-2006, 12:56
500SD

Mood: 900 went 999 gone, Multi came and went, 749 Nero now
Best info you can get.

"All models have a 1099cc engine, but are designated 1098 (for fear of association with the IRS 1099 tax form - REALLY!).

Three Models-
$14,995 - 1098 Base: 160hp/80+tq
$19,995 - 1098S: adds carbon bits and Ohlins suspension pieces
$24,995 - 1098 Tri-Colore: adds race exhaust in the crate, red/white/green three-color paint
(Pricing is preliminary and may change slightly)

Styling somewhat similar to Desmosedici RR, but with longer, sharper front fairing and featuring dual headlights; New dash design; Single-sided swingarm; Dual oval underseat exhaust; Weight reduction of 37.5 pounds; Monoblock radial-caliper brakes w/330mm discs.

All 1098 models will come configurable as mono and biposto. Base model outperforms 999R!!

Ducati will NOT campaign the new bike for the coming AMA season; instead skipping a year for potential rule changes.

Official debut will be at Milan in November, with deliveries expected to begin in February."
Old 26-Aug-2006, 13:33
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
Talking

Where do you get your information ?

748R - Less is more !
Old 26-Aug-2006, 13:50
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefyB
Yes,but now its wider,....and slotless!

No its not wider....its allways been that wide! (and not like my arse)
Old 26-Aug-2006, 14:15
500SD

Mood: 900 went 999 gone, Multi came and went, 749 Nero now
Cant say, but very reliable
Old 26-Aug-2006, 14:18
BSB Star

Define outperforms?