Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Aug-2003, 21:11
Montjuic

Mood: Lascivious
996r advice please

Guys,
I desperately need your help. I'm in the fortunate position to be considering buying a 996r. I've taken, what appears to be, an immaculate example out for a test ride today, and I'm really disappointed. The thing was virtually unrideable! I couldn't get it to turn in to roundabouts, and I couldn't input any minor steering adjustments on fast sweepers. The dealer's telling me that these are merely set-up problems. Is he right or could it be that it's never going to suit my riding style? For info, I'm 6' 2" and weigh about 13.5 stone. I've ridden loads of sports bikes, but my normal riding style is not to 'hang off'. If I'm investing 14 big ones, I need to know that I'm gonna be able to get on with it. Any views would be appreciated - especially those that tell me to buy it!
Old 03-Aug-2003, 21:24
Mille

Mood: Direct - Fiesty - Controversial
IMHO . . .

The Ducati is a wonderful bike to ride - once you have gotten used to all its fussiness!

It will probably out-handle anything else on the road - if driven properly - but you need to spend more time on it than a simple test ride.

I had an R1 for a day recently - it did EVERYTHING better than my Ducati and on my way back I was thinking in the back of my mind - why have I got a Duke?

Fussy - high maintanence - costly - sometime unrelaiable - but as soon as I got back on - I knew straight away the reasons why!

Involving - sounds georgeous - handles superbly - makes me feel fantastic - especially round the bends!

The R1 was just clinical brilliance - no need to hang off - just sit, point and squirt - the Duke needs to be ridden to get the best out of it.

I am sure that you will fall in love with the 996r once you have had a chance to "tune in" to its virtues and be able to ride it faster than you have your other bikes.

After all you would'nt drive a mini the same way you drive a Ferrari - would you?

Just my thoughts.

KJ

[Edited on 3-8-2003 by KJ]

[Edited on 3-8-2003 by KJ]
Old 03-Aug-2003, 21:38
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Its probably just a matter of getting used to her, but.....

.....is it from a reputable dealer?

Have you got a HPI check? (crash damage)
What sort of mileage has it got? (may indicate if its been setup for someone)

Can you get someone else to ride it who has Ducati experience?

Has it got all standard 996R parts on it?

Tim
Old 03-Aug-2003, 21:56
Montjuic

996r advice please

Thanks KJ. Hi Rattler.

It's the one in P&H in Crawley. It looks immaculate, is standard, and has all the right bits. Only 2.5k miles on it. They assure me it's never been on the track, I couldn't find any signs of crash damage, and I was dribbling all over it - until I got to the first roundabout...... I took it down a really twisty bit near Devil's Dyke, and it was terrifying - I was slower than a very slow thing indeed.

The guy at P&H said that the previous owner was a bit of a big lad (about 17 stone he reckoned), and he'd probably set it up very hard.

Maybe KJ's right - perhaps I'm just too used to jumping on jap (and Hinckley's finest) bikes and away you go....??

Col.
Old 03-Aug-2003, 22:07
WSB Hero

Col...

..... I've been looking for a 996R for a while and there are a few around, the one at P&H is too much money in my opinion.....

I'm sure its a straight bike and all will check out OK, but its a lot of money for a 996R.

For that price you can get a 998R (not as good as a 996R in my opinion), but is worth more money.

P&H have had that R for a long time, there have been a few guys on here looking at it - I don't suppose they are dropping the price at all either. I think it owes them a lot of money.

Having looked at a few 996Rs and read-up about 998Rs, (and taken much excellent advice from this board) for a typical bike (lowish mileage, excellent condition) you should look to pay about £11.5K - £12.5K for a 996R and £13.5K - £14.5K for a 998R. If its higher or lower mileage and condition is different then these prices may vary slightly.

I think Pro-Twins have just got a 996R in, again too much money, but may be worth checking out.

At the P&H price, it'll still be there for a while, so take your time and be sure!!!

Tim
Old 03-Aug-2003, 22:28
Montjuic

996r advice please

I never got as far as haggling with them. I had the thing out for over an hour, and by the time I got back I was too hot, too tired and too disappointed. When I got back on my 595 to come home, I thought I had 2 flat tyres - it fell into corners so easily!!

Do you think it could just be the set-up? I'm desperately trying to convince myself not to let the Ducati ownership dream die!!! But like you say - 14k is a lot of dosh.
Old 03-Aug-2003, 22:46
WSB Hero

It could be just the setup, but .....

....one of the main guys on here - Henners - was looking at that bike and may have taken it for a test ride - I'm not sure - send him a U2U and he'll be sure to get back to you, he's a great guy and I'm sure he'll help you. he went and bought a 998 instead!!!

Also, why not take other Ducatis from P&H out for a test ride, that way you can check out what other Ducatis feel like.

The 996R has Ohlins suspension on the front and back and its about as good as it gets, it may have been setup for a heavier guy and this would make it feel harsh, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't turn in quicker....

Tim
Old 03-Aug-2003, 23:07
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Col, Don't take ths the wrong way but did you ever think that because you were riding a 14,000 bike, you might have been a bit frigid. Brain saying one thing and you body another. Did you shoulders, arms or neck ache when you got back.
As Rattler says, go and test a 748/996 etc.

Jon
Old 03-Aug-2003, 23:21
Montjuic

Jon,
I've been trying to convince myself of all sorts of explanations. It could just be something stupid like somebody fannying with the steering damper or shock settings while it's been in the shop. You're right that the cost does, err... focus the mind a bit, but the only pains I got were in my wrists.

I have had a short play on a 996S and a 748 (Brands Experience) previously, and they were both fine - though the 996S did get a little bit upset if you were obliged to change line mid-corner (it was so subtle that I'd expect it to be dialled out by suspension adjustment if it was mine).

Most of the other Dukes in P&H are 999s - nice bikes, and a darn sight more comfortable, but they just don't do it for me.

Col.
Old 04-Aug-2003, 07:39
Ducati Corse

Hi Col

What you're describing is almost certainly set-up problems, however, I would want to speak with the previous owner to be sure it hadn't been dropped. Assuming you get the right answers there then a few general things to be aware of:

Ducatis come from the factory with two main handling problems i) they steer too slow and ii) they stand up on the brakes going into a bend. The first can be tuned out depending on your riding style by raising the rear ride height or changing the steering angle, however, be careful that you don't overdo it or you will lose that wonderful 'planted and secure' feeling when you're really cranked over in a long fast bend.

The standing up effect isn't so easy and most sportsbikes do it as its a factor of weight distribution, rake and tyre profile, you just have to muscle it back down again.

Other things to consider: is the front tyre original? At 2500 miles it'll look OK but is it at the right pressure and has it been flat spotted? - that bike has been sat in P&H for a while. Hopefully the rear has been replaced by now but check and remember that the flat spotting might apply there too.

Ohlins suspension - wonderful stuff but was the bike on standard settings when you tested it? A tiny tweak on these units really shows a huge difference so ensure that it's all reset to factory settings before riding the bike again.

Another factor is you height. Ducatis 9** are designed to be raced and most racers are no larger than 5'9" - Xaus being the rule breaker of course - so some folk of your height find them uncomfortable although Red-leader will disagree with me. Discomfort makes riding input more problematical and leads to the general feeling of frustration - you mention that you got back to the shop feeling uncomfortable.

None of the above would take much to sort out and there are lots of good suspension set up people around, the key thing I suggest you do if you're serious is ask P&H to set the bike to standard settings and check the tyres and pressures, talk to the previous owner and if it all checks out and you still don't like it, I'll try and organise a ride on a bike which has been set up for someone of you height and weight.

Hope that helps. Henners