Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-May-2006, 12:13

Will do that Derek however it runs with a blown 30amp till the 3 amp blows does this help diagnose the problem? Just called manchester Duacti about as much use as chocalate fire guard! Bring the bike here mate cant tell you anything! Bring the bike in we will charge you a fortune, look mate for the 10th time its broken down 120 miles away!
Old 04-May-2006, 12:28
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by minty70uk
Will do that Derek however it runs with a blown 30amp till the 3 amp blows does this help diagnose the problem? Just called manchester Duacti about as much use as chocalate fire guard! Bring the bike here mate cant tell you anything! Bring the bike in we will charge you a fortune, look mate for the 10th time its broken down 120 miles away!

whereabouts are you Minty??
Old 04-May-2006, 12:48
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by minty70uk

The 3A fuse feeds the ECU via kill switch as well as the regulator ignition sense. If it fails you won't get any injection, ignition or fuel pump but I doubt very much that it would cause the regulator to blow the 30A fuse - my money is still on the regulator. If the 30A fuse is blown it certainly won't be charging.
Old 05-May-2006, 20:31

Right Chaps was almost convinced it is the regulator / rectifier when a good man from Coventry Ducati not those to**ers from Manchester also informed me it could be the alternator too! So there you go sorry to be a complete pain with this problem but I went out and bought myself a multimeter just gotta learn to use it. Anyone got any numpty guides on how to test my alternator and rectifier? Also whilst I am convinced it is one of these and will probably end up buying a new rectifier does anyone know where to get one at the best price? Also alternator though can these be re-conditioned? If so where at and at what price?

Thanks Guys
Old 05-May-2006, 21:15
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello minty70uk

most guys go for one of these

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/#home

barring that ebay

heres one not sure if the wiring is the same

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ducati-748-200...QQcmdZViewItem

good luck

regards

TopiToo
Old 05-May-2006, 21:35
Big Twin

It's much more likely to be the rectifier than the alternator; alternators seldom give trouble.

The meter should have a 20V DC range, or similar. Mine doesn't actually say DC, it has a logo of a horiz. bar with 3 dots under. You can easily tell the AC ranges from the DC ones though, the DC ranges will be much lower; mine has 200 and 500V AC, and 200m (millivolts), 2000m, 20, 200 and 500V DC. Turn the dial to that (20V), fit the meter leads, and put the probe of the red one on the battery live, and the black on onto a good earth; I use the exhaust mounting lug just above the footrest. You may need to move the earth probe around a little to get the highest reading.

I've just done this on mine and it read 12.18V. Anything over 12V is OK. But well under 13.

Now try with the engine running. Should be around 12.5V to 13V at idle. If it's a little lower (mine was, actually) it's not the end of the world.

Rev the engine and it should go up, but never more than 14.5V.

What you're looking for is figures substantially above or below these. If you get that, suspect the rectifier or its wiring.

Turn the meter dial to "Off" when you've finished.

[Edited on 5-5-2006 by moto748]
Old 05-May-2006, 22:53

Well what can I say guys had loads of Jap bikes in fact still got an R1 which I love but whilst the Duke continues to fail very few bike have this kind of support thats why I shall be keeping this 916 till the day I can no longer ride. So thanks very much
PS Where is the best place to get fuel and air filter?

Martin
Old 06-May-2006, 18:13

Did the checks with the multi meter and yes the rectifier is shagged. Followed the instructions to remove battery etc. Unfortunetly this set off the stupid datatool system 3 alarm hence because the battery was touched the alarm has gone what they call "Spiked" and has immobilised the fuel injection of the bike! So gone backwards from just a rectifier datatool give you a de-spiking guide which takes over 6 hours to do so thats where I am as for the rest of things I regret to inform you my love affair with Italian bikes is over having owned this bike a year hence its a 1 owner 7200 mile mint machine I have been hit with more electrical failures than any of my previous bikes put together! Dealer is giving a price on a Part ex for the new R1.
Old 06-May-2006, 18:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
I have a rectifier if you need it.
£30 all in
Old 06-May-2006, 23:16
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello minty70uk

Quote:
Followed the instructions to remove battery etc. Unfortunetly this set off the stupid datatool system 3 alarm hence because the battery was touched the alarm has gone what they call "Spiked" and has immobilised the fuel injection of the bike!

did you put the alarm in service mode before disconnecting the battery? if not this will set the alarm off.

Quote:
So gone backwards from just a rectifier datatool give you a de-spiking guide which takes over 6 hours to do so thats where I am as for the rest of things

the alarm has its own small re-chargeable battery so don't worrie, connect it back up, put it in service mode, disconnect the battery, replace regulator.

I understand how you must feel, but stick with it, we have all been there, and you will reap the benefits from owning a Ducati.

regards

TopiToo