Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Feb-2005, 15:25
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
Scottoiler

Want to fit my scottoiler,can anyone point me in the right direction to find a vacuum take off?
thanks
Old 07-Feb-2005, 16:03
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Nope , but I can give you some good advice....take the Scotolier back to the shop where you bought it and ask for your money back , all they are really good for is covering the back end of your bike in oil

If you clean and lube your chain properly every 500 miles or so it will last just as long as one with a scotolier , and you'll save a fortune in Gunk and Mr Sheene trying to keep your back wheel clean
Old 07-Feb-2005, 17:17
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
Don't agree fella,have used a scottoiler on all the bikes i've owned with excellent results.As to the fling,well if the oils flickin off,so's the crap that would normally stick with wax/lube and grind into the chain/sprockets,plus in this weather you'd be cleaning the chain after every trip to work without the oiler!
Old 07-Feb-2005, 17:18
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
OR! On th eother hand.....

....keep the scotoiler cos it's a damn fine invention and marvellous at keeping your chain running smooth and clean in all weathers!

Dunno where to find your vacuum take off point, and by the time I find it on my bike you'll have fitted yours, but just had to put another angle on view about Scotoilers. Must surely be on one of the throttle bodies between airbox and head? Just keep an eye on the scotoiler settings, mines strapped to the seat subframe under the pillion pad so it's easy to get to and cant be easily messed with, and use the right oil, you'll end up making a lot less adjustments to your chain which will last longer too
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:23
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Quote:
Originally posted by pj748r
Want to fit my scottoiler,can anyone point me in the right direction to find a vacuum take off?
thanks

If I can find where my Scottoiler is connected, I'll let you know, PJ! Mine was fitted by the dealer, as I am not licensed to use spanners, screw-drivers, etc. Pretty handy with a mallet, mind ...

I reckon Scottoilers are pretty good, as I'm useless at keeping a chain maintained (but not nearly as a good as a shaft drive).
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:42
Bevel Head

I started to fit the scottoiler, but ran out of time and weather to finish it off... couldn't decide the best way to route the injector pipework to the rear sprocket (pics of your setup would be greatfully appreciated???) Anyway... as for the vaccuum point, I found, as you look at the engine from the left hand side you will see a black pipe connecting to one of the cylinders from the airbox, in that pipe is a 5mm? allen bolt, take this out and fit the vaccuum pipe to the RMV. I found it a bit fiddly to get to since it's partially obscured by the frame, but not too much of a problem... If you need and the weather's ok (no light in the garage ) i'll take a pic tomorrow and post it on here.
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:56
Mille

I agree with yellowisfriedegg take it back to the shop and get your money back they are totally crap. Use propper chain lube and look after your chain but please dont use these. i alwasy think they make the bike look like the fork seals have gone with all the oil down the side
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:59
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Here's a wider view of where the vacuum pipe is connected (from the right-hand side of the bike):

And a closer view:

Hope this helps!

Possibly my first ever useful post to the Message Board!
Old 07-Feb-2005, 19:05
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Go Put it in the bin and go buy some chain lube
Old 07-Feb-2005, 20:02
Mille

Loz, where about is the reservoir mounted on your bike.