Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Jul-2006, 16:37
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
Quote:
Originally Posted by chass
That's every 2yrs for most of us lot on that argument.
And every two months for those of us who ride our bikes. It costs enough to run a Ducati in the first place without throwing money away on needless oil changes.

Mike
Old 19-Jul-2006, 20:38

Mood: Chilled but prone to boil
What Oil in V twin

Gentlemen, Please accept some wisdom from someone who has worked in engine oils for an oil company for over 25 years. When a manufacturer quotes a specificaion, it will be the minimum required not the optimum. Some places n the world you cannot get oils THIS good! We all know how expensive it is to repair and service our engines so surely a little investment will act as an insurance. Buy the best that you can. The only problem is spotting ther best. Forget Sponsorhip LOGOs as that just confirms who gave the team some money. It's no guarantee of the oil used in the bike. Firstly pick a viscosity. I would use nothing less than 15w50 as the viscosity will be marginal a high temperatures. It's the film thickness at 150 degrees which is critical. A cheap oil will also break down (shear) and that fine film will become metal to metal contact at high temperatures. Result is tell tale shards in the filter strainer. My 900SSie has done 25Kmiles and I have never seen debris in the filter! Only use fully synthetic as these stand 150.c plus without degradation. Degradation is spotted by lacquer or brown deposits in the engine. This is the oil oxidising. Another enemy of our bikes is oil shear. What oil do I use. Mobil 1 Racing 4T (Halfords). Oh yes, I do use the bike! All the miles have been European trips and ride schools on most tracks and the ring (several times) with no mechanical failures (wheres the wood!) ps. Harley love this oil too.
Old 19-Jul-2006, 20:49
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Shaazam! has spoken

Oil:
Synthetic - Mobil1 15W-50 Car spec.

OilFilter: I prefare the K&N item as it has a nut built into the end for easy removal
Airfilter: K&N again, expensive but reusable with a cleaning / oiling kit both available from:

http://www.pdq1.com

or Hein Gerick / M&P etc.

Plugs: I've tried NGK and Platinum plugs and thought the Platinum plugs helped starting (a bit) but I'm not convinced the running is any smoother) - some peeps are saying try a different grade of plug for the rear cylinder as it runs hotter but I've not been down this road yet !!!

Fuel Filter - stick with Ducati OEM I think - following Dereks recommendation I'm moving mine to OUTSIDE of the fuel tank (not sure exactly where yet, mind) but I cant see the logic of having a replacable item - inside the fuel tank). PS - Newer style filter I was sold is metal bodied as opposed to the original plastic one inside the tank.

Cheers - Frank
Old 20-Jul-2006, 20:09
Mille

Mood: I've bought a 900SL!
Dunno about K&N oil filters but if it was still in warrenty I'd stick with OEM filters
As to K&N air filters.... hmmm great for extra air to engine but not for filtration properties as they let more particles in than an average foam filter so ok for race engines that get stripped and refreshed regularly but not for road engines. Whether or not u'd notice on most low miler ducs is debatable but imho stick with stock its not that much extra air.
Old 21-Jul-2006, 08:02

Mood: Chilled but prone to boil
Mobil 1 15w-50 car spec ?
Think you will find Mobil 1 15W-50 is bike Spec - JASO MA (the only bike specification appart from manufacturer recommendation, meaning wet clutch compatible)
Mobil 1 0w-40 and Mobil 1 Motorsport- car spec. Coz they have fuel effcient friction modifiers in them. Motorsport 15w-50 is OK though for dry clutch bikes.
Your choce