Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Mar-2006, 18:23
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
Oops-a-daisy !!!

Well i finally got my first drop over and done with today. Late for gym class and not thinking properly i managed to stall the engine and over she went attempting to leave the end of my road. I've caught bikes like this before but she had too much inertia as i had started moving and "thunk" down i go.

"Borrocks" as wise Chinese man say.

I'd like to thank the bloke (a biker) in the green vectra tremendously who stopped and helped my get her up again - beers on me. I'd also like to stick two fingers at the bloke about 10yards away loading his car that didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge me faffing about trying to get her up - (insert expletive here).

By this time my neighbours were over to see if i was ok (thanks too for that) and the damage was basically some scratches to panels and the seat unit had flipped open, breaking the mounting bracket (still rideable though). Oh, and a buggered left indicator (anyone got a spare?). Thank the Big Man the tank wasn't dented.

The moral of this story is to give some extra revs and clutch slip, especially on a cold engine to prevent a simple but embarrasing error like i made today. Hopefully someone reading will learn from my mistake as i certainly have.

On a more pleasant note though - looks like a sunny but cold day tomorrow so think i'll wrap up, warm the Duke up and head for Largs for an ice-cream. Hope to see you there.

Russell.
Old 04-Mar-2006, 19:26
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
That's unlucky Russell, I think we all do this at least once. I'm glad there wasn't too much damage and that you didn't hurt yourself in some misguided effort to save the fall (panels are repaired or replaced easier than legs, in my experience!).

It was a damn good day for a ride, anyway. Hope the bike gets well soon.
Old 04-Mar-2006, 20:13
Mille

Mood: gutted.
Sorry that happened. Thats shitty luck!
The main thing is that youre ok, and also that there's not too much damage.

Cy
Old 04-Mar-2006, 20:22

Bad luck fella but at least you're ok.

I remember years ago had a Honda, developed a tight spot on the chain after a ride out. you know the light clunk you can nearly feel.
Sat on the bike in the drive legging it back and forth to get the spot in a position I can see, hopped of the bike to have a proper look.
You guessed it, I'd flipped the side stand back up at some point, so I end up laid on the drive with the bike on top of me all in front of the neighbours having a massed family BBQ.
Not fun.
Old 05-Mar-2006, 12:09
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Bad luck hopefully it'll be a quick and relatively cheap fix.

I've stalled the 748 a few times leaving home by not giving it enough revs, this is usually born out of the graunchy clutch that I had when I first got it, I used to underrev it to stop it happening, I've since fixed that but old habits and all that.

But the bike doesn't half go heavy when it stalls on you, quick foot down it wouldn't take much for your foot to slip and you'd be over.

You're also lucky you didn't get a nasty injury from it, often the slow spills are the worst for stupid but nasty injuries.
Old 05-Mar-2006, 17:30
Bevel Head

Thanks guys for the kind words. Don't feel quite such a prat now and today's run was much better - plenty clutch slip and lotsa revs. Even the weather turned out decent
Old 05-Mar-2006, 17:39
Dibble

Wasn't the new seat unit was it ??

Hope it was as you expected ....
Old 10-Mar-2006, 22:08
Bevel Head

Dibble, yep a couple of chips on the new one - never mind though nothing a little touch-up won't cure come summer. Looks great with the white numberboards and i'm well pleased.

Safe riding mate!