Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-May-2006, 10:38
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Ooops- old 916 electrical - help needed

Morning all, just come to replace my old loom and its odd features / bad earths with a new one and i should have checked first before i started but i notice one or two differences.
On the old loom, there was a sub loom for the rectifier on the new loom, it has the 4 way (2 large black + 2 large yellow) built in. (none on the old loom)
Also on the old loom there was a small odd looking ballast resistor type pushin connector, on the new loom there is none.
rest of its the same though
am i doomed or can it be addapted to suit the old 1995 bike ?
Would appreciate any help or tips before i remove the new loom section
Putting the old one back is not really an option as it had an old datatool system3 spliced into the loom, said alarm unit is now smashed to bits after another interesting fault (long story)
Old 06-May-2006, 10:55
500SD

ok pics of the ballast type resitor

and pic of the rectifier plugin
Old 06-May-2006, 11:33
500SD

Ah, i think its becoming clear and i hope someone can put me right on this
The sub section of loom for the rectifier i think is different on the old 916 to other models.
mine has 2 block connectors for the rectifier (normal for 2 wire gene's) and it goes off to 1 large red bullet, an earth strap, and 2 yellow bullets (how cheap and nasty ??)
i reckon this loom i have fitted is designed to work with another type of rectifier sub loom from another model.
no idea what the hell that is in pic 1 though.
Please chaps could do with some advice here.
just going to pop to ducati mcr for some unfreindly advice on the little ksr80 gag bike, lets see how many ducati owners sneer and look at disgust on riding something so not ducati.
its far more fun to ride than the new 600rr anyway
Old 06-May-2006, 17:53
Big Twin

It looks the same as my 916SP (1995)...i also have one of those 'dead end' connectors a shown in your first piccie.

As for the connecting block for the regulator...have you got one of the new style regulators fitted or one of the old original one still?
Old 08-May-2006, 12:18
500SD

Hi harv, its a later one. 2 block connectors, 1 with 4 wires and 1 with 2. the yellows have been snipped and soldered nearer the gene. perhaps the new loom is from a SP and will need some later bits to match it all up
Old 08-May-2006, 12:40
Big Twin

Just to clarify

a) I wasn't suggesting that as mine is an SP model that your loom is therefore off an SP, it was more to put your mind at rest regarding picture one...ie, I have that on my 916 and its OK! The fact that mine is as SP doesn't make that much difference I wouldn't have thought wih that part of the loom?

b) What is your problem now? Is it that your loom doesn't now fit your regulator or what??I'm a little confused!

Don't worry about the yellow wires being bullet connectors...most peeps do that to the yellows. These wires come from the stator and carry a high current. It can lead to the original white connecting block becoming corroded and a liability over time. So its a common occurence for people to replace the connecting block and the wires themselves with something more substantial. Ideally you want the wire and bullets to be rated at 30A+.
Old 08-May-2006, 12:54
500SD

Yes harv, the new loom is the later type poss from a SP with the 4 block (2 yellow 2 red) built into the main loom, on the old 916 one the said 4 block connector was in the sub loom near the rectifier.
also the balast type connector was apparently for the P8 ecu from the strada and is not needed for the P16 fitted to the old 916bp allegedly.
Just need to source a new sub rectifier loom for the later loom i have now fitted and once done it should be ready to rock (and see if anything else decides to make a thin blue flame running round the lenght of the bike)
however now with the alarm removed i think it should be all fine. the alarm when fitted was simply inserted into the loom by baring wires and wrapping it round before taping it up to insulate. no solder or anything. this was proffesionaly fitted by a reputable installer from a large insurance co.