Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 18-May-2005, 22:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
CSS Level 1

Here are my overall impressions:-

Excellent organisation, professional tuition, clear, unambiguos classroom 'theory', far less technical than I had anticipated (dreaded) - in fact, not technical in any real sense, just practical.

Level 1 brings you back to basics. I found by the end of the the fourth (penultimate) session that I'd stopped trying to hang off the bike and was just concentrating on turn points and counter steering - which frankly was all I needed to do to go faster. My pre-existing riding style will, no doubt, become appropriate again but for someone who'd lost confidence, slowed down considerably as a result, I now feel rejuvinated and keen to get out and practice what I've been taught.

Bad habits hold you back, IMHO. Scrapping those and starting with a fresh, clean cut approach can only improve my riding. A lot of the stuff that was taught is, to be honest, what you do as 2nd nature. But it doesn't hurt to remind you why you do and how it fits in to your riding plan.

I was fairly sceptical about spending 300 odd quid for a day's tuition. I have to say, that £300 will make the 6 or so trackdays I've booked and paid for, much, much more valuable than they would have been without this very timely lesson in riding smoother, turning quicker, looking for turn points, looking for the apex, relaxing. All good stuff which I shall now practice. Practised on the way home, actually.

CSS - highly recommend it.

PS I'm not looking for a big discussion or an argument. These are my personal impression. Not a day of fun but very definitely a day of enlightenment.

PPS Nice to see Chris Butcher of the DD, doing a great job on his Monster and Brent, and Il Duce, David Cook, of course.